• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question regarding inletting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to me like a $1200 gun new. Consider its using a 1770s Germanic lock on an 1810-1840 rifle for starters. Poor choice. A Kibler SMR kit can be bought for about $1200 with fine wood, I’m guessing. Give somebody $700 to fit and finish and you’re under $2k and better off.
Amen , you could throw a half grown coon hound under that front sight fitting job!

I’ve got one that I built that I would sell for half that price with curly maple, wooden patch box, and raised carving. His price seems very high to me.

Attachments

• 45C62082-AA13-4DD8-9BBE-582F1E9B59E6.jpeg
    45C62082-AA13-4DD8-9BBE-582F1E9B59E6.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Not the best but have seen worse. Estimate you have around $650 in parts for a very basic plain rifle. For that kind of money I don't think so, would think maybe $1000 on a good day.

The inletting is correct if the bolster makes 100 percent contact with barrel and there's no gap around the lock plate. So if those conditions exist, the inletting isn't "too deep".

Not enough wood has been removed in the width of the lock panel and not enough wood has been removed around the lock panel. Needs a LOT of slimming down. Either the builder didn't know any better, or they're drag-azz lazy.

It's fixable to be presentable, but not at $3K, heck no.......
this is what i was trying to say but couldn't get my 2 active brain cells together.
the gun is a basic build. hate to rain on anyone's parade but you can do better for much less.

It takes real talent to be able to make a $400 gun from $800 worth of parts.
i seem to have mastered that talent! at times i despair of ever improving.
it is said that one must take time to come out with a perfect product.
i take a looong time to achieve a mediocre product . but i keep trying.(is that known as insanity?)

i seem to have mastered that talent! at times i despair of ever improving.
it is said that one must take time to come out with a perfect product.
i take a looong time to achieve a mediocre product . but i keep trying.(is that known as insanity?)
If you think you have ever made a perfect example, that is time to quit, and do something else. No matter how good someone is, they can always see their own flaws that no one else sees. As long as you can see your own flaws, that means you are still getting better at what you are doing. I know guild members who will say they have never built a perfect gun.

Back