• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question regarding inletting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few too many gaps on lock inletting. Chamfering or drafting the inner edge of lock plate and inletting blue or black would have resulted in tighter, crisper job. Gap between blade and top of barrel noticeable. Can't tell the quality of butt plate inletting but it looks better than lock. Does the thing shoot? Any sample targets?

That is so true and the true master hides all those mistakes really well.

dave
Well, most of the time anyway! 😄 Some flubs occur with many years of experience behind them (when Murphy shows up ) and are nigh on to impossible to hide from a trained eye! The trick is in making the cover alteration look like it was planned from the get-go!
I have long suspected certain inlays and oversize escutcheons having done the very same myself.

i seem to have mastered that talent! at times i despair of ever improving.
it is said that one must take time to come out with a perfect product.
i take a looong time to achieve a mediocre product . but i keep trying.(is that known as insanity?)
No its all about the expectation!
You seem to have a firm grip on reality!

i wonder if early times builders felt the same about their work that sells today for 3k?
maybe we just need to bring more newbies along that will appreciate our humble attempts.
you guy's are slackers!
my whatzit build started with a 400.00 stock. full length. someone chopped it to Hawken length.
bored the rr hole wrong
blew out the entry thimble wood area so i had to pour a entry thimble with wear plate.
early ketland lock with all lock screws stripped. had to go up to 10-32
figured there were 600 in parts that someone messed up. salvaged but unsaleable.
oh yeah. someone had chopped the barrel then used a steel hammer on the muzzle for only God knows what purpose.
i learned alot salvaging the parts and pieces. a kibler kit it wasn't!

I'd pass on that gun. Too pricy, and the inlet for the lock looks bad. For one, it's too deep. The face of the lock should be a little higher than the wood. Secondly, the point of the rear of the lock should be in line with the point of the stock in that area, and it's not. The lock looks off centered to me. I'd walk away if it were me.

Back