• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question regarding early Lyman Trade rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKirk

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman Trade Rifle (Investarms) that I purchased new in the mid-'80s. It's .50 cal in percussion. Recently when talking with one of my buddies he suggested that the Trade and GPR rifles could possibly be able to switch between flintlock and percussion by removing the snail and lock, and threading in a touch hole liner and flint lock such as the L&R replacement for the Lyman GPR. I never heard of such a thing...is this possible, or would you need a different barrel and possibly have to modify the stock to clear the frizzen and pan (I would want to be able to shoot it as a caplock as well)? Has anyone heard of this (or tried it) and what were the results?

IMO it would be a conversion from capgun to rocklock, but a switchlock would be a non-starter.

Although the rifle can be converted by changing the breechplug, it's inadvisable to switch back/forth, as it will most likely weaken the threaded joint, increasing the possibility of failure.

IMO it would be a conversion from capgun to rocklock, but a switchlock would be a non-starter.

Although the rifle can be converted by changing the breechplug, it's inadvisable to switch back/forth, as it will most likely weaken the threaded joint, increasing the possibility of failure.
That's sort of what I expected. Thanks for the reply!

Latest posts

Back