• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question on NSW trade gun kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking at the NSW early english gun kit. This would be my first build and I was wondering if there was any drilling and thread tapping involved concerning the barrel? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tony

Hi Tony. You will have to drill and tap the two lock bolts and the tang screw. It's clearly explained in the instructions that you get with the kit, along with a blueprint of the gun. Customers are encouraged to call the shop with any questions.

LaffinDog

Hey Matt, Thanks for your reply.The only reason that it concerns me is that I've never done any threading work. I have heard that your plans and service are top notch. I'll be talking to you soon. Thanks again, Tony

Working on a NSW gun right now. Drilling and tapping is really no big deal. You need the correct size drill (in the case of the NSW kit you'll need some numbered drills) and a tap/tap wrench. A little light household oil or gun oil will work as a cutting fluid. The taps can be purchased at Sears for less than $10. You can do the drilling with a hand drill but a drill press makes it easier.

You will also need to solder the barrel lugs onto the barrel and drill them for pins. Again, a fairly simple task--providing you have a handheld propane torch.

In all honesty though these are minor tasks and I've spent considerably more time fitting the barrel, tang, and lock than I did with the tang bolt/barrel pins.

Its coming along nicely and the gun kit is VERY well done and very historically accurate.

Matt's barrel profiles are unigue and accurate. Very different than what you will get in a standard fowler kit. Also, the lock Matt makes is superb and ready to go out of the box. I plan to leave mine shiney exactly as it came from NSW and exactly as the originals were.

Buy with confidence but realize its not simply a kit you screw together. You will also have to drill and tap the lock bolts.

If this seems beyond your skill level consider letting Matt build you a gun "in the white" and you can finish it yourself.

He's great to deal with either way.

I have built 2 kits from NSW and I love them.You will really enjoy that eary English trade gun. I just can't seem to shoot it enough. Good luck and have fun

Back