• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question on flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigderunner

40 Cal
Reaction score
Can you shoot a right handed flintlock gun left handed?
I’m right handed in most life task but left eye dominant so I shoot left handed. I’ve always shot right handed percussion guns on my left shoulder but wondered how different a flintlock would be with the flash.

Early on messing with my flintlock, I got a very nasty burn from having my L hand and a few fingers in the wrong place...from the pan flash. I cant imagine ever getting used to that so close.

As others have said, you can probably train yourself to tolerate the flash. Be aware some custom right-hand guns may have cast-off in the stock, which will put the sights way out for a left-handed shooter. My father-in-law is a lefty and shouldered one of my guns that has cast-off for a right handed shooter. For me it handles naturally, but he couldn't see the sights at all.

I’m right handed but left eye dominant and shoot LH. When I was a kid my cousins husband built a flintlock, rh of course. I shot it, they thought it was funny, I didn’t.

Last year I built two LH centerfire rifles to go with a pair of LH wingmasters I have. My latest build is a LH .40 Virginia rifle, it will be set up for a percussion and a flintlock.

My thoughts are, after shooting RH guns all of my life, if I’m building or buying they’ll be lefties.

As others have said, you can probably train yourself to tolerate the flash. Be aware some custom right-hand guns may have cast-off in the stock, which will put the sights way out for a left-handed shooter. My father-in-law is a lefty and shouldered one of my guns that has cast-off for a right handed shooter. For me it handles naturally, but he couldn't see the sights at all.
Yeah I’ve had issue with cast-off before out of RH guns

I’m right handed but left eye dominant and shoot LH. When I was a kid my cousins husband built a flintlock, rh of course. I shot it, they thought it was funny, I didn’t.

Last year I built two LH centerfire rifles to go with a pair of LH wingmasters I have. My latest build is a LH .40 Virginia rifle, it will be set up for a percussion and a flintlock.

My thoughts are, after shooting RH guns all of my life, if I’m building or buying they’ll be lefties.
I would probably buy or build a leftie but there so awkward to me being that I’m right handed. All my center fire guns are right handed I just bolt with that hand and raise the gun to my left switching hands. I got use to this because there’s not that many left hand guns floating around

The only time rh castoff annoys me when shooting lh is if the stock is too straight. With enough drop shooting left or right hand stocks works for me.

The best all round shot , handguns rifles and shotguns , I have ever met is right eye dominant but left handed , so he taught himself to shoot right handed . Go with the eye dominance and practice practice practice .
When shooting left handed with a right handed ml of any sort make sure you are wearing eye protection and try blocking the vision on the weak eye . Opaque sellotape is a good one to try .

Interesting I git a nice ebayUSA LH flintlock to build a long rifle but I am totally right handed. I never thought about burning my arm it’s not lost wax and sparks very well here in uk with my own knapped flints Had it three years and keep pondering Its make unknown

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 31
Can you shoot a right handed flintlock gun left handed?
I’m right handed in most life task but left eye dominant so I shoot left handed. I’ve always shot right handed percussion guns on my left shoulder but wondered how different a flintlock would be with the flash.

LEFT EYE DOMINANT STOCK 2.JPG

LEFT EYE DOMINANT STOCK 3.JPG
LEFT EYE DOMINANT STOCK 3.JPG

Well you could always try stocks like these!

Just kidding, you have some good answers already. I just wanted to share these. I think the flintlock was made for a fellow who was right handed and right eye dominant that lost the right eye.

LD

I would probably buy or build a leftie but there so awkward to me being that I’m right handed. All my center fire guns are right handed I just bolt with that hand and raise the gun to my left switching hands. I got use to this because there’s not that many left hand guns floating around

I never had any issues shooting RH guns, bolt, semi auto's, pumps or caplocks. That one shot with the flintlock when I was a kid soured me on anything muzzleloader for many years. I don't know how much powder they primed it with, but it sprayed my face, neck and arm pretty good.

I'm a natural lefty and can remember when I was small playing baseball with my brothers and sisters trying to bat LH. Whoever was pitching would walk to home, turn me around and move my hands on the bat. Being the youngest of five (all RH) no way were they going to have a LH little brother. LOL

I can pretty much do anything LH that I can do RH, many years ago when I was building houses I'd get tired of nailing RH and would switch to LH. Learning to run LH guns comes pretty quick and I really like the two LH bolt action centerfires.

It should not pose a problem. I am right handed and I have been shooting my left handed flintlock OK anyway. It works both ways for left and right handed people.

Yes it does, years ago I worked with a guy who shot a LH modern rifle, I tried to trade my RH modern rifle of the same type. He wouldn't trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back