• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question on flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you shoot a right handed flintlock gun left handed?
I’m right handed in most life task but left eye dominant so I shoot left handed. I’ve always shot right handed percussion guns on my left shoulder but wondered how different a flintlock would be with the flash.
The problem with flintlocks is that many people "flinch" when shooting. They see the cock move, the frizzen flying open, and the puff of powder before their eyes. That's shooting a right handed rifle right handed. The problem with shooting a right handed rifle left handed is that you see the same thing. Quit your gall darnit flinching, and you'll be fine.

I just got into flintlocks last October. I have shot quite a bit since my rifle was built. I am right handed....and cant see the sights with my right eye due to severe astigmatisms. I shoot left handed...and am getting pretty decent with the gun. I don't see an issue....just practice a lot to get over the flinching; which would also be an issue if the lock was on the other side. I shoot scoped rifles right handed. I shotguns with either hand: shots at moving game right handed....and slow aimed shots left handed.

I shoot lefty because I'm left eye dominant. The only issue I have had was from stock design (cast and cheek rest). Never kept me from using those guns, just not as comfortable. I've never had a problem from which side the lock is on. I do have mostly LH flinters now but that was after years of shooting the models.

The problem with flintlocks is that many people "flinch" when shooting. They see the cock move, the frizzen flying open, and the puff of powder before their eyes. That's shooting a right handed rifle right handed. The problem with shooting a right handed rifle left handed is that you see the same thing. Quit your gall darnit flinching, and you'll be fine.

IMHO the problem of flinching is because those people arent focussed enough on the sight picture when they take the shot, I'm old Army when Marksmanship and Ammo conservation meant something.
When I'm sighted up and the trigger squeeze begins nothing else exists but that sight picture and my target, breathing control and follow through was embedded in my sub-conscious 5 decades ago.
Flinching is a non event if a shooter trains and disciplines themselves that way.

Last edited:
IMHO those people flinching probably arent focussing on the sight picture,

IMHO the problem of flinching is because those people arent focussed enough on the sight picture when they take the shot, I'm old Army when Marksmanship and Ammo conservation meant something.
When I'm sighted up and the trigger squeeze begins nothing else exists but that sight picture and my target, breathing control and follow through was embedded in my sub-conscious 5 decades ago.
Flinching is a non event if a shooter trains and disciplines themselves that way.
The best I've done when shooting, is to learn to pull the trigger in-between heart beats while exhaling. Believe it or not, your heart sends pulses and makes your arms move.

While I still experience that sensation of time slowing when I fire a flint lock, that time gives one the sensation of watching the hammer fall and the flash from the pan rolling over the barrel and the sound of the flint scraping along the frizzen. All of that sensation takes my attention away from the focus on the front sight and the target. When my full concentration is on the front sight and the steady pull of the trigger, all I am conscious of the sudden obscuring of the target by white smoke. I may sort of know that the fan went off, but that is a secondary experience.

So, let's do as @Coinneach advises us, concentrate on the front sight only. Be one with the firearm as we pull the trigger.

The best I've done when shooting, is to learn to pull the trigger in-between heart beats while exhaling. Believe it or not, your heart sends pulses and makes your arms move.

If it works for you, what we were taught and proven was a full breath, exhale; then half breath before the Trigger squeeze and follow through.
There was never any mention of Heart beats, its the first I ever heard about, there again maybe I'm just an old cold hearted SOB......but not when it comes to 'Orses, Dawgs; Cattle and Pussycats.

While I still experience that sensation of time slowing when I fire a flint lock, that time gives one the sensation of watching the hammer fall and the flash from the pan rolling over the barrel and the sound of the flint scraping along the frizzen. All of that sensation takes my attention away from the focus on the front sight and the target. When my full concentration is on the front sight and the steady pull of the trigger, all I am conscious of the sudden obscuring of the target by white smoke. I may sort of know that the fan went off, but that is a secondary experience.

So, let's do as @Coinneach advises us, concentrate on the front sight only. Be one with the firearm as we pull the trigger.

ARRRRRGH sacrilege !!!

"PULL the trigger" is Heresy......SQUEEZE the trigger until it happens, much like one does when holidaying in Thailand.

"

"My dad had eye issues since he was a kid "
I was in 4th grade before the nuns figured out i wasn't stupid. I just couldn't read the blackboard.

I sat in the front row in second grade and wasn't getting my work done, which my teacher and Principal could not understand. FINALLY I caught pink eye about the middle of second grade and that's when they realized I needed glasses. HOLY SMOKE, I never realized how poorly I saw prior to that.

Gus

If it works for you, what we were taught and proven was a full breath, exhale; then half breath before the Trigger squeeze and follow through.
There was never any mention of Heart beats, its the first I ever heard about, there again maybe I'm just an old cold hearted SOB......but not when it comes to 'Orses, Dawgs; Cattle and Pussycats.
It's actually true. Hold your arm out in front of you. Stick one finger up and focus on a distant object. Can you hold steady? No, you can't. Every time your heart beats, there is a flow of blood. That sudden surge causes your muscles to react. Your blood doesn't flow in a steady stream, it speeds up and slows down with every beat. When your heart is at rest, your blood pressure slows down, causing your muscles to relax.

It's actually true. Hold your arm, or arms out in front of you. Stick one finger up and focus on a distant object. Can you hold steady? No, you can't. Every time your heart beats, there is a flow of blood. That sudden surge causes your muscles to react. Your blood doesn't flow in a steady stream, it speeds up and slows down with every beat. When your heart is at rest, your blood pressure slows down, causing your muscles to relax.

Well mate you must have a Heart the size of a Football, because I just tried your test and in my case thumb and then forefinger doesnt move.
Maybe you have a Blood pressure problem, my last BP test was 138/85 last month; I turn 70 in June.

This is an example of how blood courses through your body. With every surge, your body reacts.

https://tenor.com/view/red-blood-cells-national-geographic-arteries-

OK, well I'd argue that how it affects us would vary across a population of individuals.
Consider this, using an iron sighted ML rifle (or any conventionally open sighted cartridge rifle) how much does the Heart beat / blood surge affect the individual sighting that rifle ? Theres a few variables there, physical condition of the individual; Marksmanship training and experience; environmental conditions on the day etc.

Now, if I was using a high powered Scope sighting system and high powered Rifle, at a target say around 600 yards plus; then allowing that any movement on the part of the shooter is magnified (as is the target); then I agree that Heart beat / Blood surge may be a contributing factor.

As far as the breathing goes, having the lung expand and contract will expand the chest and move the butt stock slightly. It's quite a Zen type feeling of everything coming into alignment as the timing of the breath, the beat of the heart and the squeeze of the trigger merge with the view of the target in the sights.

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire

Put a wooden flint in and practice squeezing the trigger and the sights not moving (or as much as you are capable of holding steady) until well after the hammer has fallen. I usually do this every day in the house with one or the other flintlocks depending on which one is going to the range next.

I have helped many beginners with this simple advice.

Back