• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question on a Pedersoli Mortimer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know I have been asking a lot of questions about different rifles and such but this should be my last for a while. As I have posted before my Grandfather was looking for a new rifle to replace his old "Canoe Gun" for hunting. He wanted a Kibler and then a Whitworth. He finally decided flintlock was better and was about to give me the go ahead to buy a Kibler Colonial .54 kit when his friend called him and asked if he wanted to go to a local flea market to look for tractor parts. We all went to the market and there about 5 stalls in was a man selling muzzleloaders. My grandfather went over and saw what he now wants as his new rifle. A Pedersoli Mortimer .54 cal, the gun was already sold but still hanging up for display and he couldn't get enough of it. It had an interchangeable 12 gauge barrel which he was in love with and it had a rear creedmoor sight as well as a rear leaf sight on the rifled barrel. After the meet he told me that was what he wanted and I went out looking for one. There is one for sale here on the forum but it doesn't have a rear creedmoor sight. My question is can a rear creedmoor sight me mounted onto a rifle that never was meant to have one without ruining the wrist of the stock ? Or is there some sort of threaded piece that is already in place for a sight from the factory on creedmoor models ? Secondly can all Mortimer Rifles interchange barrels from .54 to 12 ga or only one model ? I asked Pedersoli themselves and they weren't any help as they were telling me to buy a rifle and a shotgun separately for best results ( probably to make money ). Anyone with knowledge to help me would be much appreciated with their response and I will also be scouring the internet for more information. This is going to be my Grandfather's final rifle and I would like it to check off everything on his list. This will be my last post on my Grandfather's rifle search so that I don't pester forum members anymore. Once again thanks to all who reply with helpful information it is very appreciated.

Several years ago I bought a pedersoli Mortimer 12 shotgun on gun broker. The Mortimer flintlock lock is a very fast very nice lock. I did NOT like the way the Mortimer shotgun is designed to shoot. You have to shoot with a heads up type hold on the stock/barrel to get the shotgun to shoot to point of aim. If you tuck into the stock with a cheek weld like most of us are used to with modern shotguns the gun will pattern 12-24 inches low. I just could not get used to it. I sold the shotgun barrel and bought a new Pedersoli rifle barrel from Flintlocks ETC and installed it on my stock/lock. My original stock/lock was made in 1989. The new rifle barrel was made in 2017. It was not a perfect fit. There was some fitting to be done. The touch hole in the barrel did not line up well with the pan and still doesn’t. With that said my Mortimer is an extremely accurate rifle. The lock even with the offset touch hole is fast as lightening. I use it to shoot matches. The rifle barrel equipped Mortimer is a very heavy, very barrel heavy rifle. It is perfect for match shooting but I won’t even consider hunting with it. In my opinion it is a perfect bench gun, and a very steady offhand shooting rifle. Carrying it in the woods it’s not a good choice. The weight of the Mortimer shotgun is deceiving compared to the rifle version. If you’re wanting a Mortimer with both barrels I suggest buying one that came that way from Pedersoli as a matched pair. Fitting barrels later may be disappointing as far as figment go. As far as the sight questions go, I have no idea.

Several years ago I bought a pedersoli Mortimer 12 shotgun on gun broker. The Mortimer flintlock lock is a very fast very nice lock. I did NOT like the way the Mortimer shotgun is designed to shoot. You have to shoot with a heads up type hold on the stock/barrel to get the shotgun to shoot to point of aim. If you tuck into the stock with a cheek weld like most of us are used to with modern shotguns the gun will pattern 12-24 inches low. I just could not get used to it. I sold the shotgun barrel and bought a new Pedersoli rifle barrel from Flintlocks ETC and installed it on my stock/lock. My original stock/lock was made in 1989. The new rifle barrel was made in 2017. It was not a perfect fit. There was some fitting to be done. The touch hole in the barrel did not line up well with the pan and still doesn’t. With that said my Mortimer is an extremely accurate rifle. The lock even with the offset touch hole is fast as lightening. I use it to shoot matches. The rifle barrel equipped Mortimer is a very heavy, very barrel heavy rifle. It is perfect for match shooting but I won’t even consider hunting with it. In my opinion it is a perfect bench gun, and a very steady offhand shooting rifle. Carrying it in the woods it’s not a good choice. The weight of the Mortimer shotgun is deceiving compared to the rifle version. As far as the sight questions go, I have no idea.
He is used to hunting with heavy rifles. He had an old 4 fowler with a 38" barrel. It weighed 18lbs loaded and when it went off in your shoulder it either gave a Chiropractor a run for his money by realigning your bones or gave him your money to realign your bones. He usually rests his gun on his favorite log that he hunts at every year. At 68 weight and recoil on just words for my Grandfather he will bruise himself and go home to get a good verbal thrashing from my grandmother. I thank you for the shotgun information that is good to know at least the rifle comes with both barrels so if the shotgun barrel doesn't work out he can just stick to the rifle barrel.

Rifle/shotgun combos have been a dud for me. First one was a .45 TC Hawken with a 20G Sharon drop in. Very hard to shoot as a shotgun. Next one was a rare Bondini (?) Gallyon 12 g shotgun prototype with a .50 rifle drop in barrel. Better fit but still hard for me as a rifle. I gave a honest but bad review and think it never went into production. Also have had some unmentionable European double barreled rifle/shotgun "cape" guns Again Better but just not right, despite being exceptionally high quality. I think a guns architecture is what it is, a rifle or a shotgun but not both.

Back