• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question on a good way to start

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Crawford

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought I would come to the skilled builders here with a question. I have no experience building muzzleloaders but have a desire to build one in the future. Right now my time and finances are both pretty tight, but I'm thinking towards the future.
The question is, am I smart to think it might be better to do a refinish on a fair gun first rather than tackle a complete kit build? I thought this could be a way to work on my skills and learn a lot.

What got me thinking was the fact that inherited a TC Renegade in .54. The finish is a little rough, the barrel has some bluing issues, but it sparks well and fires. I inherited it loaded and with powder in the pan! There was rust on the outside of the lock, around the pan, and a little on the inside. Dixon's put a Lyman conversion on the this gun's lock to help make it spark better. I cleared the pan, charged it, and it fired immediately, hitting the exact spot I was aiming at (only 25 yds). I'm waiting on my bore light to get to me so I can see if the rifling and barrel are still good. I plan to fix this one up and keep it in the family. I've got the rust solved and it is usable now. I may work the wood and refinish the barrel. Once done with this minimal project, I thought it might be smart to get something like an older CVA or Traditions rifle that shoots well but needs some love. I could work my chops up on finishing barrels, a little carving, etc.
Thanks for your wise input.

I am working on my first rifle right now. I pretty much dove right in but I have a pretty good understanding of the process from reading “Recreating the American Longrifle” and recently purchased “ The Art of building the Pennsylvania Longrifle”. The only advice I have is to read these books First.

I am working on my first rifle right now. I pretty much dove right in but I have a pretty good understanding of the process from reading “Recreating the American Longrifle” and recently purchased “ The Art of building the Pennsylvania Longrifle”. The only advice I have is to read these books First.
This is good input. These books, this board and many of the build videos on YouTube will be essential as a new builder. My one and only build was a kibler SMR. It's pretty spendy, but the quality and ease of build is unmatched, IMO.
If you need to spend less, I think some of the plains half stock kits are about half the cost. I don't know how difficult they are.
The experienced guys will surely have wise counsel for you on prices and the kits that will be appropriate.

Question on a good way to start.
Daryl,
Do anything you can afford that will build your skills, read, and ask questions. You want to build a ML someday? Why not start on some parts? That will help build your skills and provide some components at a more economical level. You would be surprised at the amount of parts that can be handmade. RR ferrules, the complete RR, front and rear sights, barrel loupes, barrel keys, inlays for starters. If you make some of your parts you will save money, and build your skills. When you get the finances for stock, barrel, and lock you will be way ahead of the project. Even if you can only work an hour a week, doing little projects, or steps, it will eventually turn out to be you own ML.
Go for the small stuff now and spend very little, and squeeze in a little time a week.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

I built two CVA Mt Rifles before I started my PA fowler. I say if you can afford a quality kit go for it. Read all you can and ask a lot of questions. Don’t put a deadline on completion and do a little bit at a time. Knowing when to step away and think things through is valuable. My guess is you’ll do just fine. My fowler will harbor a few mistakes but I bet it’ll shoot fine when I get there. That said, if you have other projects to hone some skills that won’t hurt a bit. Good luck!

Building things that develope your skills is a useful approach. Learn metal and wood working skills that apply to gun work. And study the details on original guns comparing details. I‘m starting a fellow on making a pistol and we spent a couple of hours talking about his project. He was hoping to cut a piece of wood for the stock when I stopped by his place. It became clear that he didn’t know exactly what he was going to build or how the parts would interact with each other. He’s getting his thoughts together and looking at pictures to know what he hopes to build now. Then he can buy parts and begin building something nice.
Cheap kits are for advanced builders in my opinion as there are so many things to overcome and fix in them.

Back