• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question....now I am curious

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never read your other post or the responses. But all the responses above are correct. While you could insure ignition by drilling a larger hole in the nipple, accuracy would go by the wayside due to erratic pressure fluctuations from blowback. Try a new nipple and keep it clean.

Then while it is still hot and the pores of the barrel are open... Around patches of boar butter down the barrel...
Ah-Ha!
Well, now we know how to fix your hang fires,(truth)
Again it's too close to season to change things up, but you come on back after season when ya have time and we'll work on next year,,

p.s. it's got to do with not using the paraffin wax stuff called "bore-butter",

Last edited:
I had alot of ignition issues when I tried T7 in my TC cap guns. Not once did I get ignition as instantaneous as I do using black. I've since been able to re-stock with black and all ignition woes have gone away. Ignition as instantaneous as humanly perceivable. Do try and get some black powder. It stinks but nowadays we mostly have to swallow our pride and pay the hazmat shipping from places like Powder Valley and Graf and Sons. But dang it's worth it!

I had posted on the muzzleloader hunting heading ... And one of the reply's I got was from someone who I believe call them selves longcruise ( I believe ) ... But anyway the statement was made that drilling your nipple out might give you better ignition...( To deal with hang fires).... But will make you less accurate...... Now in my mind I would think that a fast ignition would make you more accurate...now I am not saying he was wrong because I don't know....the only thing I can think is maybe a fast or hotter ignition might burn the patches or something like that ... Making the shot less accurate?... Thoughts?
Attempted to find original post so luck. Before drilling nipple, find out what type of breech is in your gun has and be sure the flash channel thru the drum or bolster to the breech area is clear. By firing a cap thru an empty ML while holding it near a blade of grass should show you this. If the grass doesn’t move, you have a problem. Also, be sure to wipe barrel with alcohol before loading to remove oil swabbed in for storage. I always store ML muzzle down to insure any oil or whatever to swab with runs out, not in. My Hatfield has a patent breech and keeping it clean is the one of the 2 reasons of misfires. The other a fouled drum or nipple. Good luck, all of the other responded offer good advice also.

Ah-Ha!
Again it's too close to season to change things up, but you come on back after season when ya have time and we'll work on next year,,

I agree with this..^^^Bore butter is a terrible rust inhibitor. However as long as it works for ya keep on keeping on!

I had posted on the muzzleloader hunting heading ... And one of the reply's I got was from someone who I believe call them selves longcruise ( I believe ) ... But anyway the statement was made that drilling your nipple out might give you better ignition...( To deal with hang fires).... But will make you less accurate...... Now in my mind I would think that a fast ignition would make you more accurate...now I am not saying he was wrong because I don't know....the only thing I can think is maybe a fast or hotter ignition might burn the patches or something like that ... Making the shot less accurate?... Thoughts?
I'm not sure what the person who wrote that was referring to exactly.
One possibility is that too large a hole behind the powder, nipple or vent/flash, can change pressure and possibly decrease pressure enough to effect velocity and thus projectile stabilization and accuracy.

I've never done it on a rifle, but I have done it to my 51 Navy. Mind you, not the nipple front where the cap seats, but the side of the nipple barrel. It relieves a bit of the compressed air when the flame front proceeds down the nipple to the charge thus (supposedly) aiding in ignition. Also a second benefit is that it keeps backpressure down and keeps the cap from flying back into the hammer mechanism if you happen to have a weakening hammer spring or a heavy charge. Anyway, that's the idea. :) Could be I'm just blowing black powder smoke. I did it to my Navy a couple weeks back but haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet. I was getting cap jams constantly. I already reworked the sharp points off the hammer to no avail so I let you guys know how it works out.

Recommend you search “Traditions breech type” on this forum. Seems you do have a patent breech.

As a test with your current setup: after pouring the powder down the barrel - tap the lock/breech/nipple side with the palm of your hand in an attempt to get more powder flakes closer to the nipple.
Then load the projectile and fire.

There is drilling a nipple out and drilling a nipple out!
Most folk can't successfully drill a nipple all it needs. .040" is a tiny drill bit that oft breaks so they go up in size and before long the hole is huge!
I found with pyrodex in my shotguns opening the nipple to around .040" improved ignition.

There is drilling a nipple out and drilling a nipple out!
Most folk can't successfully drill a nipple all it needs. .040" is a tiny drill bit that oft breaks so they go up in size and before long the hole is huge!
I found with pyrodex in my shotguns opening the nipple to around .040" improved ignition.
The thing is that I had already drilled out the nipple before I made post... I have not had it blow back the hammer or anything like that... doesn't mean it won't in the future I understand... I do have a different style nipple the # 11... I could put on it... But I will not have time to shoot it before season

That is true ... But I never use oil in my barrel just for that reason.. I Know a lot of people will not like the way I clean my muzzleloader... But I just use hot soapy water...(dawn)... Then pour a coffee pot of hot water down the barrel... Run a few dry patches ... Then while it is still hot and the pores of the barrel are open... Around patches of boar butter down the barrel... Of course this is after it's already dry so I don't trap any moisture in
Ah, the notorious misinformation that seasoning the barrel helps. Does little other than fill the breech and flash channel with that substitute for Chapstick.

Note: Steel does not have pores that open up to accept Borebutter.

After cleaning and the barrel is warm or for that matter room temperature, use Baricade that evaporates and leaves a layer of rust inhibitant.

another side effect of enlarging the flash hole in a nipple is as has been stated, excessive back pressure. that excessive pressure can blow the hammer back and damage your lock.
Many years ago when we weren’t savvy with cap locks I saw a hammer that had snapped off through just that.

I think your asking for trouble …Don’t do that…!!!

Ah-Ha!

Clean it up really good..after cleaning and before loading dry fire a couple of caps/primers just to make sure you don’t have any moisture or anything in the powder channel …I bet this would either help or eliminate the problem….👍👍

I was taught to always fire a couple caps with the muzzle near dirt, grass, a luckless ant etc. to clear the oil out.
It didn’t always work until I learned to store them muzzle down. Decades of no hangfires with caplocks….
Flint hangfires are a whole ‘ other story…err…Book!

As a teen (1980) owning a 45 CVA Kentucky rifle I had trouble getting consistent ignition. There was no internet and few others who shot muzzleloaders.

I decided the hole in the nipple was too small. I borrowed a cutting torch tip file set and went to work opening the hole.
I got it to fire more consistent, but the hammer blew to half cock and black powder soot covered my face. I thought I'd lost my eye sight, so I threw away the nipple.

I later learned to use less oil, then a clean patch to absorb extra oil, and stored the rifle muzzle down.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back