• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for the "old guys"...Is it just me or are there others?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion, Unions.....always want more for less. Japanese did not have them or need them and they used integrated supply chains which became the std later on. We could do it, but people did not want to pay for it. Holland & Holland ,RIgby and others were always expensive. But the mind set was different. A person had few rifles, but good ones. American mind set was and is screwed up always thinking more is better(IMHO) My Grandfather was a world Class PH and hunter who hunted all 4 Continents in the 50's/60's 70's he used two rifles, both pre 64 model 70's, one in 30-06, one in 300 H&H for 'big stuff" both with Custom Made Lyman scopes with distant dots in them. He was ahead of his time. He also has back up receiver sight (redfield) that came apart and stored in the butt. Never needed anything else. We used to build excellent optics, now we are down to only one or two actually made in the USA. Americans wanted big, loud, noisy gas guzzling V-8s not 4 cylinders. Can't impress anyone with a 4 cylinder, oh that's right, Porsche did! LOL! Just one man's opinion.

"Moral agents", is that a J Edgar Hoover thing ?
I don't think J. Edgar was much of a moral agent> I read that he was a little light in his loafers?

What does it say about Washington that for decades powerful people were afraid of a known cross dresser in charge of the FBI? In a time when cross dressing was a whole lot more controversial?
There is, in my mind, no doubt that anyone who seeks power inside the Beltway, whether appointed, elected, or employed has a very serious character flaw.

english motorcycles were junk just like their cars the MG and Triumph austin marina even jaguars were junk
I had an MG Midget. I agree with you. That MG spent more time up on blocks than it did on the road. I have heard you should never drive an MG too far from home because you might have to walk home.

I read that he was a little light in his loafers?
A friend's wife, as a child with her nanny and political parents, saw J. Edgar in a blue dress. She also witnessed the killing of everyone in a house (down in Central America) except her and her nanny. She had some issues, as you might guess, but I had no reason to doubt her memories. 😲

I had an MG Midget. I agree with you. That MG spent more time up on blocks than it did on the road. I have heard you should never drive an MG too far from home because you might have to walk home.
I almost bought one, but purchased a used 1958 Austin-Healy instead. The electrical wiring was reversed on those English machines and you had a hard time finding a mechanic to work on it. Great car though. I traded in for a truck. Wish I had it today.
"There was a young man from Boston who had an Austin. There was room for his A## and a gallon of gas and his B### hung down and he lost them" 😊

I really enjoy this forum! You people have kept boredom away from me. My wife doesn't want me go to the rifle range, fish, hunt or do much of anything without having a partner tag along. I am blessed to have her and I do as she says. I go to this forum every day . I am a light weight comedian and try out my lines on you people. I get a feel for whether I will include or cast aside a joke in my routine. I just wanted to say I appreciate all of you!

I saw Japanese cars make our auto industry build a better four cylinder engine. I never did understand why we American didn't make a better product? There is no reason we shouldn't have cars,rifles and all things as good as any other country without having to buy something custom made?

I worked in a plant that was a joint venture between a German company and a Japanese company. Our engineers were always Japanese, their attention to detail and work ethic was like nothing I'd ever seen before or since. That plant closed in 2007 and I still exchange Christmas card with one of those engineers, good folks.

If you enjoy your 8 hour workdays, or having insurance and benefits at you job, thank a union. Unions, like everything else aren't perfect and their members are a cross-section of our society, just like this forum.

I worked in a plant that was a joint venture between a German company and a Japanese company. Our engineers were always Japanese, their attention to detail and work ethic was like nothing I'd ever seen before or since. That plant closed in 2007 and I still exchange Christmas card with one of those engineers, good folks.

If you enjoy your 8 hour workdays, or having insurance and benefits at you job, thank a union. Unions, like everything else aren't perfect and their members are a cross-section of our society, just like this forum.
Perhaps, but the incessant demands for more & more got to the point where the car companies failed. That is a FACT. A job is only worth so much, and no one building a car should ever think differently. If you want to earn like a Neuro Surgeon, then train like a Neuro Surgeon. (IMHO) My brother worked for Phila Elec. for 35 years, one of the largest utilities etc, and NEVER had a union. Their workers were paid as well as anyone and people rarely left. Unions were great in the 30's ,after that they became redundant and useless IMHO. I worked in Fin'l Serv or what many call Wall Street. You took care of yourself and never expected the company to do it for you. You either produced every day, or you were gone. LOL, 8hr day, what was that? try 60 hr a week minimum. Those that survived were the best of the best, and got paid well for it. Not a pleasant place to work at times, but if you want to survive with sharks and be the best, you better learn how to swim with them. Just one mans opinion

....If you enjoy your 8 hour workdays, or having insurance and benefits at you job, thank a union. Unions, like everything else aren't perfect and their members are a cross-section of our society, just like this forum.

No, I don't thank unions for anything. They are legalized extortion.

My opinion, Unions.....always want more for less. Japanese did not have them or need them and they used integrated………………………
Can't impress anyone with a 4 cylinder, oh that's right, Porsche did! LOL! Just one man's opinion.

+1. I’m 71…….A transition era baby boomer. By 40 years old realized that all the marvels of technology coming on the scene, while possessing productively enhancing potential, also led down a path of heavy dependence on outside sources.. While this was an important factor for making a living and supporting a family, upon retirement, I anticipated my desire to shed as much technology dependence as possible, particularly with the hobbies/pastimes I planned upon retirement…..shooting/hunting, fishing, driving(cars, motorcycles). Shortly after the muscle car madness in the 60’s-early 70’s, I became a true affectionato of the Porsche. Living in the country, I came to the realization that straight roads are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers….This was the focus, forte and claim to fame of the Porsche. IMO, the outstanding build quality, and, the balance of handling, light weight, power, and braking was optimized, and the reasons the company remains as one of the most profitable, and recognizable brands to this day. I was drawn to the early model 356’s, and held onto my 60 Roadster for decades in anticipation of retirement….In storage, but kept in working order.. When I retired, I made it road ready. Now, it’s a routine driver, no computers needed/self-serviceable,, 30MPG, odometer: +180,000 miles, dead reliable……And, few modern cars can keep up with it from point A-B on the back country roads I still inhabit. Also, just one man’s opinion.
DA22A84E-5B1B-40ED-B29C-22C9D98AA9E4.jpeg

Absolutely did not mean to offend.

The Jungle was written in the early 1900’s, at a time where Unions did not exist. When Sinclair went to publish his book, the publisher refused..stating that conditions could not possibly be as bad as Sinclair described in his writings. Several undercover investigators, then looked into what Sinclair had described, and reported back that the conditions were actually worse.

In my opinion, the trouble with modern Unions is the corruption of the leadership.

As to Unions themselves…necessary evil

+1. I’m 71…….A transition era baby boomer. By 40 years old realized that all the marvels of technology coming on the scene, while possessing productively enhancing potential, also led down a path of heavy dependence on outside sources.. While this was an important factor for making a living and supporting a family, upon retirement, I anticipated my desire to shed as much technology dependence as possible, particularly with the hobbies/pastimes I planned upon retirement…..shooting/hunting, fishing, driving(cars, motorcycles). Shortly after the muscle car madness in the 60’s-early 70’s, I became a true affectionato of the Porsche. Living in the country, I came to the realization that straight roads are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers….This was the focus, forte and claim to fame of the Porsche. IMO, the outstanding build quality, and, the balance of handling, light weight, power, and braking was optimized, and the reasons the company remains as one of the most profitable, and recognizable brands to this day. I was drawn to the early model 356’s, and held onto my 60 Roadster for decades in anticipation of retirement….In storage, but kept in working order.. When I retired, I made it road ready. Now, it’s a routine driver, no computers needed/self-serviceable,, 30MPG, odometer: +180,000 miles, dead reliable……And, few modern cars can keep up with it from point A-B on the back country roads I still inhabit. Also, just one man’s opinion.
View attachment 147265
Nothing like an 'original" bathtub Porsche. Your 356 is very very nice!

Absolutely did not mean to offend.

The Jungle was written in the early 1900’s, at a time where Unions did not exist. When Sinclair went to publish his book, the publisher refused..stating that conditions could not possibly be as bad as Sinclair described in his writings. Several undercover investigators, then looked into what Sinclair had described, and reported back that the conditions were actually worse.

In my opinion, the trouble with modern Unions is the corruption of the leadership.

As to Unions themselves…necessary evil
emphasis on evil! They bring no value to the table in this modern era, unless you really think its worth $20 an hour to make Coffee!

Unions suck especially those for professional engineers. They extorted $$$ and wormed their way into taking over employers responsibilities like healthcare management. They only served those members who were in constant trouble due to their own incompetency. Ours spent thousands defending a woman who later was found to have faked her education and registration documents. This only after she ordered 2 miles of fencing around a 1000' HazMat site.

Unions suck especially those for professional engineers. They extorted $$$ and wormed their way into taking over employers responsibilities like healthcare management. They only served those members who were in constant trouble due to their own incompetency. Ours spent thousands defending a woman who later was found to have faked her education and registration documents. This only after she ordered 2 miles of fencing around a 1000' HazMat site.
The left always forgets to mention the corruption, incompetency and malfeasance Unions breed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back