• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about what to load in a smoothbore.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently completed a 20 gauge Pedersoli Indian trade gun kit from DGW. I didn't take pictures yet. Still needs a little touch up but I am happy with it. I didn't buy 60 cal round ball yet. I did buy a whole bunch of lead round bb gun ammo .177 caliber to use as shot. Has anyone use lead bb gun roundball as shot in a muzzleloader here? I think three or four balls at a time should be okay. I haven't fired it yet, I only got it last Wednesday. I accidentally ordered 12 gauge wads so I sent them back to DGW to exchange for 20 gauge wads. I have a few dozen rounds down my two flintlock 50 cal rifles. This is my first smoothbore. I have read through the forum as there are many posts for the Pedersoli trade gun and they have been helpful.

https://jdtactical.com/product/gamo-177-lead-roundball-bbs-8-2-grains-250pk-tin/
That's what I bought just from a different vendor.

Last edited:
you will be ok with an ounce or an ounce and a eighth of that shot. one oz will be 53 pellets. actually a light load but one i use for grouse. we are having grouse for thanksgiving.
Thanks I will have to buy many more tins then as it comes in 250 per tin. That gives me five loads using fifty bb pellets. I was going to use 90 grains ff schutzen. Never had goose sounds tasty.

goose is tasty. and tastes better when dropped with a flintlock and black powder! pre-seasoned one might say.
but alas! so far the geese have not cooperated. we are having ruffed Grouse for thanksgiving.
when you load your gun try to match the powder and the shot by volume. this is referred to as a square load.
i think you will be close to an oz and a quarter of shot with 90g volume. just a guess as i am to lazy to roll out to the shop and measure.

Grouse are kinda like an overgrown quail. color is similar to that of a hen pheasant.
smoked they are to die for. add the flavor of black powder and they are heavenly!
let us know how you do with the BB loads. you can also cannibalize shot from shotgun shells if necessary. if you plan to hunt waterfowl you will need nontoxic shot such as bismuth or tungsten.
i hesitate to use steel shot but it may be acceptable too.
Rotometals sells bismuth shot. spendy but so is powder.

I need to get my hunting license. I am in the gulf coast of Florida. I don't even know if Grouse exist where I live in the Tampa area. I know there are some wild chickens running around and turkey. I have seen a few Turkey vultures up close eating road kill. We got some wild hogs an anacondas too but I would not shoot a hog with 50 bb pellets and 90 grains of ff because it may not take it down on one shot. Hogs are mean lol. I should be able to take it to an outdoor range either just a few days before Thanksgiving or black Friday. I heard of people cannibalizing center fire shot gun shells. I would rather not do that. I agree that lead could make the bird poisonous. I think copper bb pellets exist, that shouldn't ruin the bore. Steel bb could.

Last edited:
Here are the photos of the Trade Gun. I left some of the butt area a little rough. Also the third barrel pin the wood on the washer side got chipped. I removed the barrel after staining to try and wipe away excess which I did. When I punched the solid pin back in it chipped. I used toothpick, titebond iii and plastic wood to fill it. It is an okay fix. I am happy with the musket. I may add an entry thimble. I have one from Track of the Wolf.

Attachments

• IMG_20221118_212416.jpg
    IMG_20221118_212416.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221118_212354.jpg
    IMG_20221118_212354.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221118_212235.jpg
    IMG_20221118_212235.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221118_212132.jpg
    IMG_20221118_212132.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221118_212213.jpg
    IMG_20221118_212213.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221118_212225.jpg
    IMG_20221118_212225.jpg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 0
Shortly after my previous post I got fed up with the thimbles being misaligned with the entry. Either the thimble near the muzzle need to sit lower or the middle needed to be recessed further. I spent a few hours installing the 7/8 track of the Wolf entry thimble. It is a little oversized but now the ramrod smoothly goes into the entry without having to have my off hand push the end cap into the hole. It still needs adjustment. I need to gently hammer then polish the flat part of the thimble more. At least the ramrod enters without hassle now.

Attachments

• IMG_20221119_064055.jpg
    IMG_20221119_064055.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221119_064125.jpg
    IMG_20221119_064125.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221119_064117.jpg
    IMG_20221119_064117.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221119_064109.jpg
    IMG_20221119_064109.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I did buy a whole bunch of lead round bb gun ammo .177 caliber to use as shot.

will have to buy many more tins then as it comes in 250 per tin. That gives me five loads using fifty bb pellets
Why?

grafs has a variety of shot in stock at the moment,
This ⬆️

90 grains? With BB size shot?

What are you intending for a target?

I take pheasant and squirrels with about 60 grains of 3f and 1oz of shot. For turkey I am only increasing that to about 75 grains powder and a 1 1/8oz load of shot. (#5 shot)

I know a bag of shot sounds expensive, but in the long run I am betting it works out cheaper, and should perform better, than the number of tins of lead BBs you will need to keep that gun fed.

Another thing to do to get smaller quantities of shot to try. Ask around local gun shops, especially older ones and/or ones that have a range, and at local gun clubs, and see if anyone has dropped off old or partial boxes of shotgun shells. Sometimes these show up from the estate of someone who has passed away, or went with a gun they no longer have.
Cut them open and take the shot, put it in containers marked with the size shot. Really, depending on what you use for containers and how many you have, put the shot from each shell in its own container,,,,, it is premeasured and the boxes of not the shells are marked with how much shot is in the load.

Hello Steven,

Lead shot doesn’t make game birds toxic to eat. People use lead shot for all sorts of hunting. And most game is taken with lead (or plated lead). Migratory waterfowl (think ducks and geese) are regulated by the federal government and they require you use non toxic shot to protect the birds from eating it later. It has to do with how ducks sift grit from the bottoms of the lakes we hunt on. Feel free to use lead shot for things like turkeys, rabbits, quail, etc. you could also use a lead round ball for things like hogs and deer.

if you look at some stores linked below you will find bulk shot much much cheaper than the BBgun ammo you currently have.

Also linked below is the hunting regulations for Florida. Make sure to understand game laws before hunting or you might end up with hefty fines (or worse)!

Shot - Shotshell Reloading - Graf & Sons

Lead Shot for Reloading , Ballast weight

Hunting Regulations

Hey I actually had someone private message me about buying shot by a large bag. I didn't know that was an option until I made this post last night. I am not yet going hunting with the trade gun. Still need to take the safety course. Just trying to figure out a good load for the range first then hunt with it someday. The shot is .177 round lead ball. Thanks for the reply.

Hello Steven,

Lead shot doesn’t make game birds toxic to eat. People use lead shot for all sorts of hunting. And most game is taken with lead (or plated lead). Migratory waterfowl (think ducks and geese) are regulated by the federal government and they require you use non toxic shot to protect the birds from eating it later. It has to do with how ducks sift grit from the bottoms of the lakes we hunt on. Feel free to use lead shot for things like turkeys, rabbits, quail, etc. you could also use a lead round ball for things like hogs and deer.

if you look at some stores linked below you will find bulk shot much much cheaper than the BBgun ammo you currently have.

Also linked below is the hunting regulations for Florida. Make sure to understand game laws before hunting or you might end up with hefty fines (or worse)!

Shot - Shotshell Reloading - Graf & Sons

Lead Shot for Reloading , Ballast weight

Hunting Regulations
Thanks for that post, I really need to take the safety course.

Hey I actually had someone private message me about buying shot by a large bag. I didn't know that was an option until I made this post last night. I am not yet going hunting with the trade gun. Still need to take the safety course. Just trying to figure out a good load for the range first then hunt with it someday. The shot is .177 round lead ball. Thanks for the reply.
Again, what is your intended target?
What do you plan to hunt?
What size shot was offered to you?

A big bag of #8 shot might not be much good to you for turkeys or pheasants, even squirrels?

Hi Steven,
I would also like to say welcome to the tradition of hunting! Pay special attention to the regs as they explain most of the hunting rules and seasons. Spend some time learning about the game animals you want to pursue. Focus on one species at a time untill you learn there habits. Learn what they eat and where they like to live. If you have any questions on specific species or what to use to hunt them feel free to ask in the traditional hunting section of this forum. Just double check that your regs match up with the recommendations because regs change between states. What you use entirely depends on which species you are hunting. I would also take your states hunter safety course just like you mentioned as a starting point. If you hurry you might be able to hunt during this fall season when most seasons are open!

-10Ga

I need to get my hunting license. I am in the gulf coast of Florida. I don't even know if Grouse exist where I live in the Tampa area. I know there are some wild chickens running around and turkey. I have seen a few Turkey vultures up close eating road kill. We got some wild hogs an anacondas too but I would not shoot a hog with 50 bb pellets and 90 grains of ff because it may not take it down on one shot. Hogs are mean lol. I should be able to take it to an outdoor range either just a few days before Thanksgiving or black Friday. I heard of people cannibalizing center fire shot gun shells. I would rather not do that. I agree that lead could make the bird poisonous. I think copper bb pellets exist, that shouldn't ruin the bore. Steel bb could.
No, you shoot the hogs with a 0.595 round ball loaded in your 20 gauge trade rifle. Perhaps patched or with wads to hold the ball on the powder.

Back