• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question about value of pair of 58 Rems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning to sell pair of 58's brass. One is Pietta and the other is A.S.M. 44 cal. Guns are is good shape and Pietta may have never been fired. I fired 5 rds from A.S.M. 8 years ago. I accept your honest opinion for selling price. I am disgusted with the current rash of carpet baggers and get rich scum killing our market. I only want to do right by some interested new shooter or fellow shooter. NOTE: the pietta grips are wooden and ASM are molded. not real clear in pic but want to point that out. Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• 1858 1.jpg
    1858 1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 70
Are you looking to sell them as a pair or individually?

I don't have an answer for you on value, but would think you could look up the price on, saym Cabelas (even though it's probably not available) and go from there.

As a pair. I have looked at Gun Auction and all were sold before I could see price. A single gun 58 brass on other sites are going for 350 and up. Seems too much to me. I thought 500 for pair might be reasonable. I've never sold a gun but truth be known I have given outright a new shooter in our club guns to get started. Somebody above been good to me.

Before things got out of control, if you shopped around a new brass Remington could be had for $250 - $270. I paid about $270 for one I bought new back in December 2020. 1858 Brass Remington

So I would say $500 for the pair would not be unreasonable, considering today's prices.

I sold a used ASM for $240 at my last show. It was more used than yours so I wouldn't think $500 for the pair is outside the realm of possibility.

There are a lot of people fishing prices right now because there are fools who think the guns are not available at all. But they are. Brass frame 58s go for $250 new in the box often. You could float a price on GB or GunsAmerica, and you just might get it. I have seen the prices of the guns starting to come up anyway, to like $275 for brass frame. This website is still at the old price:

https://www.jedediah-starr.com/closeup.asp?searchWord=1858&pid=325&offset=0
And I'm sure they will get stock again soon.

You can backorder at EMF by just checking out and they call you, and they are still at 245
https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1858-Army-and-Sheriff-Models-c111.htm
So if someone needs them right now, your price is very fair. And you may be able to float even more.

There are a lot of people fishing prices right now because there are fools who think the guns are not available at all. But they are. Brass frame 58s go for $250 new in the box often. You could float a price on GB or GunsAmerica, and you just might get it. I have seen the prices of the guns starting to come up anyway, to like $275 for brass frame. This website is still at the old price:

https://www.jedediah-starr.com/closeup.asp?searchWord=1858&pid=325&offset=0
And I'm sure they will get stock again soon.

If you think that, you are looking at an offering that is probably almost 18 months old, and it is no doubt out of stock/unavailable. The Italian factories started shutting down over a year ago due to the Italian Government lockdowns, and production has been very sparse to nil.

You can backorder at EMF by just checking out and they call you, and they are still at 245
https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1858-Army-and-Sheriff-Models-c111.htm

And you will be waiting a long time. EMF is owned by Pietta, so logic would dictate that EMF get new guns before other dealers.

So if someone needs them right now, your price is very fair. And you may be able to float even more.

I think $290-$300 each would get a buyer. 6 months ago I won at auction (GunBroker) a Remington 1858 .44 steel frame AH/1981 made by Armi San Paolo for

$320. It is in very good shape for its age.

Rem Beals DGG ASP 001.jpg

Regards,

Jim

For one that is a steel frame gun, not brass, and you really are just insulting yourself by announcing that you paid more for a used gun than you could have for a new one in the box from any number of sources back then. EMF still has steel framed Rems for $295, and they are getting shipments every month and fulfilling the orders that come in. I got two engraved ones from them last month.

Thanks All for feedback. I think I will offer pair for 500 and I will ship lower 48. I'm 76 years young and you would think I am complete dunce. I think in pairs as one discipline I do is Cowboy. Actually I buy in 3's. Pair for shooting and a backup. Thanks all. Jerry

Attachments

• shoot-in-underware day.jpg
    shoot-in-underware day.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 48
If you think that, you are looking at an offering that is probably almost 18 months old, and it is no doubt out of stock/unavailable. The Italian factories started shutting down over a year ago due to the Italian Government lockdowns, and production has been very sparse to nil.

And you will be waiting a long time. EMF is owned by Pietta, so logic would dictate that EMF get new guns before other dealers.

Regards,

Jim

EMF is not owned by Pietta. They are the primary importer, and Pietta has an investment in the company, probably just a lump of operating capitol to be able to bring the guns in.

And it isn't old. You can checkout on those guns on EMF and they will call you to get the 3 digits from the card when they come in. I have gotten every gun from them I have ordered like that, except two I am waiting for now. A regular blued steel or brass remmie will definitely come in within a month or so. And Dixie has no backorder system. But if you check their website a lot, they are all coming in regularly and going in stock. They had remmies in stock two weeks ago.

Back