• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question about TVM woes,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Smokey Plainsman,

Mid june (19th) this year you had issues with the rifle you received from TVM. I am a fan of their products.

Has the issue been resolved? Still negotiating? Given what folks said about them here, positive and negative, i am interested in how they have handled the discrepancies as many others may be. Been about 8 weeks now and something should be in progress i hope one way or another to a resolution.

John

I’m interested also, I have a very plain TVM rifle that is very nice, shoots well and looks good. I’m considering buying another one but a “fancy” gun. I would also like to hear what happened

Can someone link to the post?
We know Smokey Plainsman got a subpar rifle, we would like to hear the outcome. I love my TVM and I’m considering buying another. The resolution of his issue could effect my decision. When we (rightfully) cast dispersion on a vendor I feel the loop should be closed!
Mistakes and errors occur their resolution is what makes or breaks it.

Find it interesting he has issues with the lock now. Jim chambers himself has offered to fix it free of charge. He is going to talk to tvm monday. So again, call them out before even talking to them it appears. Several members here are discussing it there as well. I am not a fan of how this has been handled on either forum so far. The thread over on the other forum was started 8/14 and today the 17th, SP said he is going to talk to them monday.

Last edited:
Wow! I can’t believe this is still ongoing...

Looking at the pics posted on the link too the ALR, it appears the lock screws could be the culprit.

It’s really hard too tell from the pics, but with 2 or 3 threads showing through the lock plate... it makes me think that this may be the problem.

Smokey, is this your first flintlock? Do you have a spring vice?
Have “you “ disassembled the lock in the past?

Just a few questions about how we got to where were at, this has been going on for awhile now.... have you shot the gun? Cleaned or disassembled it in anyway ?

I’m not saying your at fault here, just trying too understand all the angles .

I personally do not own a gun made by TVM, but I’ve seen and handled many of them.
The guns from them that I’ve been around were all good looking and great shooting guns, they make a great rifle.

One of the screws on my rifle if over tightened will protrude through the lock plate pushing the cock sideways .... if overly tightened..

Good Luck , I hope things work out for you.

Per my clock it is 11.49est. He was looking at the forums list 18 minutes ago. Wonder why he does not answer. He has checked out the forum lists multiple times this last week since i asked the question but never replied.

It's always seemed to me that if a builder has been in business for a long time and has lots of satisfied customers then he must produce a high quality product. Lemons have escaped from every gun maker worth his salt. Some folks don't like Ford/Chevy/etc, even though the products themselves are excellent and sound; they just don't like the styling. Same with guns. For instance, as long as the gun is a longrifle and well made I'll rarely fault it. I don't care for half stocks. Builders do sincerely WANT their customers to be satisfied and will try and make any problem "right" if it is at all possible. Never, NEVER suffer in silence. Call, be firm but polite and clearly state the problem; then ask what you should do.

I like your approach Hanshi. I wish Smokey would have come back to report here rather than on another site.
Well he said he is going to call them tomorrow. What a fun call that wil be since they were in lexington ky for the show this weekend. Long drive home to that call coming. Not. Smokey i think wants to rip him a bit as he indicated in his other forum thread. Maybe this forum will get lucky this time for an update. Maybe he forgot where he started the original thread couple of months ago. Yea, that is it.

I just bought a TVM southern rifle with brass furnishings from a guy who didn't like the satin finish he got. He had asked for gloss. He sent the rifle back, they redid the stock, and he has never been able to forgive them for the mistake/miscommunication or whatever is was. He shot the rifle a couple of times, but always had it stick in his craw. I pain him hundreds less than he paid, and love shooting it!

I just bought a TVM southern rifle with brass furnishings from a guy who didn't like the satin finish he got. He had asked for gloss. He sent the rifle back, they redid the stock, and he has never been able to forgive them for the mistake/miscommunication or whatever is was. He shot the rifle a couple of times, but always had it stick in his craw. I pain him hundreds less than he paid, and love shooting it!

Wow, no proof reading here, LOL!
...whatever IT was.
I PAID him...

I wonder of those places hire apprentice builders and the older builders only do cursory inspections on their work. I can't imagine an experienced builder making so many mistakes on one rifle. Just gets me to thinking. My TVM came to me just the way I ordered it so I can't complain.

Latest posts

Back