• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question about touchhole location for hooked breech plugs and filling in gaps in the tang

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper1993

40 Cal
Reaction score
Is this touchhole too forward from the back of the plug? I've never messed with these types of hook plugs before. I was given this stock and I was unsure of what plug it was initially inletted for. I made due with a 1 1/8 inch hooked plug from muzzleloader builders supply. The red dot is where the touchhole would be placed and the red line is the back of the plug

I also need to figure out what to fill this gap in the tang with. I have a small section of wood, about 3 x 2 x 1 inch i removed from the front of the stock to shape the nose cap that i could cut into thin pieces and try to wedge them into the gaps. I could also just use a piece of maple and shape it into the correct size and shape of the gap or just fill it with acraglass.

20221113_150021.jpg
1668376020930.png
20221113_150421.jpg

Your lock looks a little too far forward. I would try to position the lock so it is centered on the side of the breech plug; this will move the touch hole back as well. I would use your scrap of wood to plug and completely fill in the current inletting and start over-this would allow you to move the breech forward about a 1/8 inch which would solve the touch hole problem.

How far back into the breech plug does the chamber go? If the touch hole is in the chamber good.

The tang inlet is botched and will need to be filled with pieces of wood or bedding compound.
the red line in the picture is the back of the breechplug, i might put some wood in the back of the breech to move it up a bit or just put a little bit of acraglas in the gap. Yeah, i couldnt find what tang the previous owner used so im using a 1 1/8 L&R tang and filling in the gap

The pan is fully on the breech plug and touch hole in it's center will hit the chamber with plenty of room to put in a liner that will be fully in the chamber. To me I would leave it there.

The rest will fill well with acra-glass gel stained dark.

A nice look on the tang, might be achieved by soldering a brass strip around the edge of the tang to widen it enough to fill out the inleted area.

Back