• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about the Pedersoli Mountain Hawken.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new here so this question may have already been asked before. Has any one shot the Pedersoli Mountain Hawken? How does it shoot and is the fit and finish better than just good?

Thanks

I have never shot one but examining them at Cabela's, the fit and finish is real nice. As good as it gets probably. Just going by the look and feel I prefer the 54 cal version.
But I really like 54 cal rifles. :grin:

I too prefer the 54 cal. rifle. I have an older Uberti Santa Fe Hawken that shoots great. I would like another rifle and have been looking at the Pedersoli for some time. I would like to stay as close as possible to the original style but keep the price down so was wondering how they shoot.

I have two of them , one fast twist and one slow twist. Yes they shoot as good as they look , they are fine rifles. Biscuit

I have a Missouri River Hawken and a Rocky Mountain Hawken , both 50 cal. the Missouri has a twist of 1:24 and the Rocky has a twist of 1:65 the slow twist 1:65 shoots the ball the best. Both are maple stocks and both are beautiful guns and both are extremely accurate.

Shiloh, I have a Rocky Mountain Hawken in 54 cal. that has the walnut stock. These are fine shootin irons and the fit and finish on these guns is about as good as it gets for a production gun. I changed the sights on mine and installed a wide blade front sight and a primitive style rear. my old eyes couldnt see the sights very well that came on the gun. These guns are shooters and I used mine to take a heap of deer over the years.

Shiloh the Pedersoli is a might pricey and if cost is a factor you might want to consider looking at the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I also have one of these and while it aint a dead ringer as far as authenic Hawken styling goes it does come pretty close. I removed the blued finish on mine and went back with a more traditional rust brown finish. These rifles shoot great and they are accurate. You could do a lot worse than one of these.

I have a mountain rifle with curly maple stock. The barrel is excellent and it is very accurate. It's a heavy rifle in .54, would be even heavier in .50 as the barrel is straight rather than tapered.
My only "complaint" is that they leave too much wood on the forearm and the finish has a plastic look and feel. Both of those may get remedied in the future. Fitting of parts is very good. As others have said, it's very nice for a factory gun.
If you are handy with tools, you can build a Hawken from Don Stith's parts sets for less than the cost of a Pedersoli. I bought my Ped. Hawken because I got an incredible deal on it.

Latest posts

Back