• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about Lyman gpr rifles.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a Lyman GPR from a fellow member here and I love it. My buddy just purchased one from another forum member here, I noticed subtle differences in the two. For instance, mine has deep stamping that says what the rifle is, along with that is says made in Italy, it has no keeper spring for the ramrod, the lock is crisp and the fit and finish around the tang is great, but not so much around the buttplate. The stock is for sure walnut.

my buddy’s rifle is absolutely beautiful, has light stamping that says investment arms and Lyman Great Plains rifle Italy, has a ramrod keeper spring in the steel under rib, the finish is absolutely beautiful and the figure in the wood is very nice as well... I’m not 100 percent sure it’s walnut, but it very well could be.
the lock is super crisp and has a case hardened finish. it has every single feature of a GPR, yet it is slightly different than mine.
these differences that I mentioned, are they just differences from early to newer models?

Quality control has gotten horrible in the later Investarms GPR's. That's why Lyman dropped them and the new GPR is made by Pedersoli. A much better gun but it's more expensive too.

One difference I've noticed with the GPRs is the lock plates. Some have laser engraving and others are plain with case colors.

here’s the lettering and the AE is in the box.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 80
You could be right. Here's a picture of a recent Investarms GPR and it has a plain lock plate that you showed. They changed the lock. I wonder why?

great-plains-main_4.jpg

I’m not positive of anything.. lol
The barrel matches the lock as far as the finish goes, as does the buttplate and toe plate and trigger guard. It could have been a refinish at some point in time, looking at the rest of rifle, wood has some handling marks, the rear sight and front site have been replaced at some time. Anyhow, no matter what I enjoy this rifle...and am glad to know it’s a very early example. When I purchased it the previous owner said it was an early model.. I just didn’t realize it was that old.

You could be right. Here's a picture of a recent Investarms GPR and it has a plain lock plate that you showed. They changed the lock. I wonder why?

great-plains-main_4.jpg
Hard to say -- maybe they wanted a different lock plate appearance to see how well it would be received by potential buyers.

One thing I recently learned by accident was to pay attention to terminology, "colour case hardened," as opposed to "case hardened." The mottled appeared of a colour case hardened steel item was achieved by applying a chemical solution & NOT by the application of a heat tempering process -- hence colour case hardened. It's merely a mottled patina on the surface of regularly tempered steel. It can be achieved simply by applying some Cold Blue with a Q-tip, for example.

I'm working on another .54 cal GPR kit, & I thought I'd dress up the appearance of its lock plate by a gentle polish. Whoa! The mottled colour began coming off! Well, I couldn't leave it looking like that, so I just removed the remaining patina & polished it to match the rest of the furniture, leaving it in the white. It took just as long to polish as did the other parts.

I realise many truly love the case hardened appearance, but it's never done much for me. I've read that in the past there were reasons behind soft steel being case hardened, & manufacturers are apparently replicating it in their reproductions with a chemical application.

Whoever decided to omit this from their newer Lyman/Pedrsoli models saved them some manufacturing costs in eliminating the patina application step. Perhaps that's the reason behind the change?

FWIW.......I checked my GPR which is a 1990’s build date and it has the same coloring lock as S. Kenton........greg

Quality control has gotten horrible in the later Investarms GPR's. That's why Lyman dropped them and the new GPR is made by Pedersoli. A much better gun but it's more expensive too.

Would you say there’s a year, or timeframe where they went from good to poor or has it just been a steady downhill slide?

Im a big Rem 700 fan, but I wouldnt spend much money on anything they made after 2006.

Would you say there’s a year, or timeframe where they went from good to poor or has it just been a steady downhill slide?

Im a big Rem 700 fan, but I wouldnt spend much money on anything they made after 2006.
I have a 1992 GPR and a 2013 Plains Pistol, and the build quality of the pistol is every bit as good as the rifle, For what its worth

Latest posts

Back