• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question about first deer hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpmann3518

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The info I got here for ball size and patch thickness was right on for my .54 T/C. My father in law called me last night and aske dif I wanted to take a deer on his land this year (Be a first for me). I tend to only shoot at anything I can see clea enough to get a good shot. Right now I'm using an 80 grain charge. Should I lower or raise that? I seriously doubt I would even shoot more than 50 feet considering how dense those woods are.

80 gr with a .54 is plenty good enough. I shoot 90 gr FFg in my T/C .54 and 85 gr FFFg in my .54 flintlock and they are excellent whitetail medicine out to 100 yards,

If 80 gr is accurate for you that is where you should be. Placement is more important than energy that's uncontrolled.

80 grains in a .54 is exactly what two of my daughters use for hunting. One daughter took a nice mule deer buck with that load, the other took a full grown cow elk. The deer was nearly straight on, the ball went into the chest and exited behind the right shoulder. Tore up one lung. The elk was a broadside shot, the ball did not quite exit, but shattered some ribs on the far side.

80 grains is fine. Good luck. Bill

I'v killed several deer with 60 grains of fff in a 54, the furthest one was about 75 yds, so as the others have said your 80 grn load is fine.

Thanks. I shot it yesterday with the sights set where they were when I got it and was still hitting the target (A large tree stump) good 100 yards offhand with out really trying using the 80 grain load. Just wanted to make sure I didn't over or under power for hunting deer.

"A large tree stump" is not a very telling target. A leaf on that stump or a soup can sized rock would be better.

I have for years suggested a gallon paint can or milk jug should be your "yerdstick" for judging how far away you can reliably put a ball into a deer's lungs.

I agree with you Stumpkiller. I know I can hit much smaller targets with that rifle at 50 yards and will take your advice and try a leaf pinned to it to refine my accuracy and make any adjustments before I shoot at anything living.

If you are comfortable with the 80 gr. charge stick with it. After the hunt you will have a year to test loads and find the sweet spot for that rifle gun of yours.
At 50 feetit is pretty academic what charge to use.
Good luck. Report on hunt and pictures after are mandantory. :thumbsup:

I use a milk jug with a sewing needle stuck in the top. Then at 100 yds, I shoot at a speck of dust in the eye of the needle.
Miss all three and step up to 75 Yds and do it all over again. :bull:

Ok have another question. Father in law insists that i use his deer stand which is only about 8 feet high on the edge of a pasture and spread corn to attract deer. I mean is that even hunting? Part of me doesnt feel right about it.

Ethical or not isn't the question.

The question is how does it make you feel, and you just made it very clear.

If you are not going to feel good about hunting like that and you do it anyways that meat is going to remind you of how you took it every mouthful.

Thanks cynthialee. I thought about it more. The stand was what was bothering me the most but when I really looked at it I wanted to laugh. It's more of a short ladder with barely any room to sit and your legs hanging down at eye level of the deer (On the rungs of it at that). Seems like if you breath or move wrong they will run. Either way I have a couple more days to decide before I go by the tags. If I still feel uncomfortable I simply don't do it.

The stand wouldn't bother me near as much as "hunting" over placed bait. But that's not a legal option hereabouts so my ethics are not necessarily those of others.

I use a treestand when bowhunting (my range is inside 25 yards) but have still-hunted deer with a bow that I consider much better mental trophys. I keep on the ground when hunting with muzzleloaders. More fun for me when the temperature drops to keep moving.

Yeah it's the baiting part that really bothered me. I said I prefered to be on foot and he said they will smell you. I get within 20 feet of them a lot in the woods near my house for fun all the time by being patient and smart about it.Luring to a spot to shoot them doesn't qualify as hunting to me. Definately made up my mind it's not going to happen. At least on his land.

Keep your nose to the wind and they will not smell you.

If you are traveling more than 100 feet per minute you are moving way too fast. Take a step or two, observe and listen, repeat. Look for parts of a deer. A leg, ear, the line of a back. You seldom see a whole deer all at once (if you do you weren't paying attention just prior). I pause frequently and may sit for an hour if it is a likely spot. It pays big time to have done a lot of pre-season scouting to find out where the deer are at the times you will be hunting. Does no good to be where deer aren't.

Turns out we had a major misunderstanding. He was talking about spreading feed around the woods to attract deer, not bait them right under the stand. If you can still really call it that. Wife told me to do it how you want regardless. if you want to walk around the woods instead just do it. Not like anyone else is going to be anywhere near the area I would be hunting in.

No matter how you look at it..it's YOUR hunt.. you should do it the way YOU want to do it. Personally, I have a hard time sitting in a tree stand with a M'ler...Ive done it..but I'd rather still hunt. As far as spreading the corn around the woods.. I would have issue with that.
Just my 2 cents.. GOOD LUCK!

I understand. Personally I don't agree with the putting out feed and seriously doubt I'm going to sit still very long. But it is his land and I don't feel it would be right to tell him what to do on it. But I also need to stand up and voice my opinion as well. Politely.

As far as the so called stand goes. Like I said before. It's more of a short ladder with barely anything to sit on. Maybe 8 feet high if that. Might as well just stand out in the open.

Take a folding camp stool and find a nice spot where you have good sign and can see. Take a stand in the shade on your stool and wait. Don't forget to watch the wind. If you are comfortable you will enjoy being there more.

Back