• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

question about a squirrel rifle,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could order a 32 cal. and if you really don’t like it you can have it bored out to 36. Just a thought

One advantage to the 40 caliber is that it's legal to use for both deer (38 cal and larger) and squirrel (40 cal and smaller) in PA, as I recall. I've been looking for one because of this.

Here in Maine the .40 is legal for deer and small game. Frankly, however, I prefer my .45 or .50 if deer is the game sought. When it's small game I'd rather use the .32 or .36. The .40 - I have a nice one - makes a grand turkey rifle where legal; not legal in Maine, though.

I’ve used up to a 45 for squirrel on a regular basis until we moved to Tennessee where it has to be smaller than 36 during deer season. Then, it’s a 32 here and a fine caliber for squirrel.

Been playing around with my 32 Seneca and Olde Eynsford 3f as weather permits for the last few weeks. Been trying wipe no wipe and with this gun at squirrel range taking up to 10-15 shots which is more than I would typically take during a small game hunt and cant tell a difference. Versus my 32 Cherokee this one loads a little easier with the same ball and patch combo. Really starting to appreciate the Olde E powder. Small calibers 40 cal and under are just plain fun to shoot and a great way to work on shooting skills while using little lead and powder.

Back