• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question about a site to buy parts for a first build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tx635

40 Cal
Reaction score
So i have had the book "The Fine Art of Building a Pennsylvania Long Rifle" for about a year. Now I'm getting the itch to build a long rifle but I'm curious about the Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply company. Are they legit? What are your experiences with them if you've bought from them before?

I'm not planning a specific build but just wanted to do something fun that can capture the stereotypical "Kentucky rifle", nothing fancy but still respectable.

Log Cabin Shop has been very good and so has Pecatonica. What I like about them is that they have not been out of stock of things I want and even more important, they still publish a paper catalog. I really don't like on-line shopping and some of the search features suck. There's just something about thumbing through a catalog to pass the time in wishful thinking.

So i have had the book "The Fine Art of Building a Pennsylvania Long Rifle" for about a year. Now I'm getting the itch to build a long rifle but I'm curious about the Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply company. Are they legit? What are your experiences with them if you've bought from them before?

I'm not planning a specific build but just wanted to do something fun that can capture the stereotypical "Kentucky rifle", nothing fancy but still respectable.
Pecatonica is a good company, and they are very busy right now. I just had a shipment of parts leave for my home today.
Steve is the order taker.
Larry

I ordered some small parts from them and everything was as promised. I called them a few times and they told me the prices on their web page were outdated regarding gun parts like stocks and barrels so you may want to give them a call to find the price difference.

I have bought parts from many different companies. Pecatonica is good but the prices listed on the website might not be accurate. the log cabin shop is reputable as well. personally my three go to shops are Track of the wolf, dixie gun works, and muzzleloader builder supply. if you plan to build a rifle I would suggest picking a school. it is just easiest to pick parts that match that way. Also read gunsmith of greenvile county.

There were a couple hiccups in my order from Pecatoncia, I ordered a large siler percussion lock and steel hardware in my Virginia kit, I received a Large Siler flintlock and brass hardware. I kept the flintlock and ordering a cap lock, the hardware was exchanged for iron, no problems. At the time they didn't have any .40 barrels, I ordered it elsewhere. I ended up with a credit, so I had them send me some flints.

As mentioned, their web site prices don't (or didn't) match the actual prices. My experience is that they don't answer their phones before lunch. No problem I understand they are very busy.

I purchased my barrel and some small items from Stonewall Creek Outfitters in Viginia, very good folks to deal with too. Troy (I think) has been a tremendous help with my offhand rifle.

I have dealt with Pecatonica (and with Log Cabin) for years. As others have stated, these are good, honest companies that sell high-quality items at fair prices. Shop with confidence!

I have bought from Pecatonica for many years and they have always done right by me. In my opinion any stock I ordered the wood I got was of a better quality than what I ordered. It has been some time since they updated their web site so it doesn't reflect current prices. They also don't charge your card until your order is ready to ship.

Thanks to everyone. I'm definitely getting great feedback, it'll be too hard to thank everyone on there own but thank you all. I'm looking at some of the other sites mentioned above as well. I haven't really picked a specific school just because I'm not sure if there is just one school that has everything the way I want it because I like a bit of everything and want to try something a little unique. I do know I'm going to try for a .54 cal swamped barrel, probably a cherry stock if I find one, and theirs a cool looking patch box I saw on an original I might like to replicate if possible.

Back