• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question about 36 TC Seneca

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassdog1

32 Seneca Guy
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I own three 36 Cal Senecas and when I run a jag all the way to the bottom of the breech I feel a small rough patch not rust like something is catching the patch slightly. Doesn't happen on my 32 Seneca or my Cherokees. One of the guns has never been fired and none have ever shown any signs of rust or pitting inside or out. Any Ideas from guys who own Senecas. I am using factory jags.

Theres sharp edges like a burr ive expierenced from manufactoring process in the bottom on some of these 13/16 barrels.Cant re but this old guy long time ago said that you could sand it out with sand paper on a jag.

here is a pic of my seneca .36 cal it might be catching on those cutouts in the breech plug .36 bore.jpg

here is a pic of my seneca .36 cal it might be catching on those cutouts in the breech plugView attachment 42208

Anybody that knows me knows l love TC guns. But, their Quality Control was often lacking and their Tolerances were over generous.if you look at the ends of the lands there’s a shadow there. That’s from a gap between the end of the bore and the face of the breechplug and your patch is most likely catching/binding there.

In the early years of TC producing ml rifles, the quality control (if any) was very poor. This was especially true of breech plug fitting. A lot can be said on that subject. Yours may be safe and usable. But it may require some expert ml gunsmithing.

I have often found gaps between the breech plug and "shoulder" of the barrel on production guns.I make a brass bushing to fill the gap. The gaps will allow fouling to build up and make cleaning a real pia. Making the bushing and installing it requires removal of the breech plug, precise measuring of the plug length and the barrel recess depth and Inside diameter. Then machining the bushing. It really isn't as hard as it sounds for a good machinist. But not something for those who are not experienced.

Back