• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Queen Anne pistol in 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eterry

70 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Between Red River Station and Doans Crossing, Tx.
I just couldn't resist, and I'm now the owner of a slightly used/abused repro QA pistol. I think its a Pedersoli. Of course the barrel on this one doesn't seem to unscrew as the originals. I cleaned her up some and need to get the correct size flint, the smallest I have is for my large Siler. I thought of trying to break a flint into a smaller one, but fear I'll have a bunch of shards in the end. The bore is rusty, but doesn't look pitted. Based on the touchhole I'm not sure it was ever fired.

Question, how strong should the frizzen spring be? This one seems pretty strong. The fan snaps shut with authority, and opens with some difficulty. I'm considering tinkering on the spring, but I may end up making things worse. I've seen me do it before.
I'll get some pictures up, for all to see.

If it's a Pedersoli the barrel will be marked and no it isn't a screw barrel pistol. It really isn't a Queen Anne pistol as the breech and "action" on those were made as one piece and they were almost always screw barrel pistols. They are similar to a box lock pistol but not to be confused with them. It's been years now but the springs on mine were a problem and at that time Track of the Wolf sold a replacement mainspring & frizzen spring set which worked much better.

Lots of kids are shooting off fireworks, so I loaded her up with 20grs fffg and a cloth wad, primed with ffffg, and stepped on the back porch and let her rip. Even with an oversize flint it managed to go Boom.
I don't see any markings on the barrel, but Italian proof marks on the breach plug. The barrel is tarnished, maybe i'm missing the marks.

Eterry
If you plan on shooting it you may find it has a lot of failure to fires if it is in box stock condition. This is because of the diameter and length of the vent hole and the way it intersects the bore of the gun.

Follow this link to see what the problem is and how to fix it.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/queen-anne-pistol-vent.19654/
For the follow on story about the results of my fix of the vent hole follow this link

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/pedersoli-queen-anne-ignition.19658/#post-210425
My apologies for the way Photobucket loused up my pictures. If you can't see any that you feel are important, let me know in this thread and I will try to post them here without the Photobucket manure on them.

I can't see any marks on my barrel other than proof marks.
It did flash once, then bang. I may need to read the other threads.

20200627_224457.jpg
20200627_224457.jpg
20200627_224507.jpg
20200627_224517.jpg
20200627_224447.jpg

Yes it's a Pedersoli and the markings and warning should be on the bottom of the barrel. The "engraving" on the side plate and trigger guard isn't factory nrt are the 3 dowels, tacks or whatever in the stock forward of the trigger guard.

From experience you will need to open the touch hole to 5/64 and deepen the pan.(dremel works good). The frizzen spring will work but is tough on flints as is and should be lightened. The "Becky" size flints from Track and a thin flint leather with a notch in back turn the lock into a good sparker. Hope this helps.

There is no breech plug on the Pedersoli Queen Anne. The bore and breech is one solid piece of steel.

When I did my modification of the vent hole, I started off with the idea of installing a regular vent liner but there isn't enough metal under the vent hole to allow a 1/4-28 threaded hole. That area has been milled away to provide room for the lock. That's why I made my own vent liner out of a piece of a #10-32 bolt. There is (barely) enough room to allow for a #10 thread there.

From experience you will need to open the touch hole to 5/64 and deepen the pan.(dremel works good). The frizzen spring will work but is tough on flints as is and should be lightened. The "Becky" size flints from Track and a thin flint leather with a notch in back turn the lock into a good sparker. Hope this helps.

Thanks Denster, I've only shot it twice, it flashed once, went bang the 1st time the other.
If it keeps flashing, i'll try opening up the touch hole first. The pan is shallow, i may gently use my dremel tool on it.
The good thing is i don't have much invested in this pistol.

Latest posts

Back