• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quality Kit for first time builder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quillgordo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a flintlock fowler kit for my first build. I want an easy, mostly assembled quality kit. I've looked at Jim Chambers and Kibler and track of the wolf etc. I'm looking for some suggestions from knowledgeable kit builders/gunsmiths.
Looking at a colonial model, it can be based on the english models. Thanks

I do believe TVM, Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, has a fowler you can buy in the white.
Just finish it the way you want it and your done!

I'm currently finishing my Kibler Colonial kit in .54 and it's turned out niceley. All the parts fit together well with just a little bit of paring and some patience. I enjoyed putting it together and highly recommend it for a first time build.

other than buying a gun supplied in the white the only real easy fowler type kit that i can think of ,and its not a true fowler, is a pedersoli Indian trade musket. that would be an easy kit to do.

https://www.tvmnatchez.com/fowler
The Chambers kits and such take some serious skill or advanced patience to complete, many newbies can put them together if they have previously honed shop skills.

I would say it would be virtually impossible for someone to complete a part kit like Chambers or TOW who has never made anything of any kind and didn't have any knowledge of tools or a place to work.

Last edited:
If you want easy and quality you will have to go with a Kibler in smoothbore or be patient for his fowler to come out. If you have some talent with your hands a Chamber's would do you well. I've done 2 and waiting on an English Fowler from Chamber's. I never even touched a flintlock prior to my first one, so if I can do it so can you... There is plenty of help here to get you through the process. Mine have plenty of warts and disfigurements if you know what to look for, but both shoot very well! One tip,,, buy nice wood, it helps hide your shortcomings!
Below are links to the 2 chamber's that I completed if interested.

(9) First Build Competed! | The Muzzleloading Forum

(9) 40 Caliber York Completed | The Muzzleloading Forum

If you want easy and quality you will have to go with a Kibler in smoothbore or be patient for his fowler to come out. If you have some talent with your hands a Chamber's would do you well. I've done 2 and waiting on an English Fowler from Chamber's. I never even touched a flintlock prior to my first one, so if I can do it so can you... There is plenty of help here to get you through the process. Mine have plenty of warts and disfigurements if you know what to look for, but both shoot very well! One tip,,, buy nice wood, it helps hide your shortcomings!
Below are links to the 2 chamber's that I completed if interested.

(9) First Build Competed! | The Muzzleloading Forum

(9) 40 Caliber York Completed | The Muzzleloading Forum
Very nice thanks Question Did you have to do all the drilling/tapping and soldering?

For a first timer the Kibler Colonial is the best choice. I think all the drilling and tapping is now done by Kibler. Ask Katherine when you place the order. Kibler is making high quality locks using CNC machines; this is a huge plus. The wood will fit the metal as is or a little better with very slight tuning.

Track and others are parts sets that can be made into a rifle by a skilled builder. They are not for beginners. I prefer to work from a plank over the precarve stocks supplied in these "builders kits". Most of the time these stocks are messed up. "Un-messing" them is frustrating and time consuming. Understand that if you cut on the the wood you can not return it, even if defective to the point of being unusable. I have gotten burned on that. Sometimes you don't figure out it is no good until you are well into it. Planning out 10 steps and seeing the problems takes experience. Since it is round it is more difficult to have references to keep everything straight and plumb.

You will need to do lots of critical metal work too. That takes tools and skills. The locks supplied on the builders kits are often pretty bad. They often consist of as cast parts assembled with no particular care or fitting. Many of the are just plain junk. I normally have to do lots of rebuilding to make a decent lock of them. This includes new plates, tumblers and screws. I consider the locks from the big two lock supplies as kits from which I may be able to make a decent lock.

I never did a Chambers, I understand that they are somewhere between the parts sets and Kibler. I have done four Kiblers'. They get my highest praises.

For a first timer the Kibler Colonial is the best choice. I think all the drilling and tapping is now done by Kibler. Ask Katherine when you place the order. Kibler is making high quality locks using CNC machines; this is a huge plus. The wood will fit the metal as is or a little better with very slight tuning.

Track and others are parts sets that can be made into a rifle by a skilled builder. They are not for beginners. I prefer to work from a plank over the precarve stocks supplied in these "builders kits". Most of the time these stocks are messed up. "Un-messing" them is frustrating and time consuming. Understand that if you cut on the the wood you can not return it, even if defective to the point of being unusable. I have gotten burned on that. Sometimes you don't figure out it is no good until you are well into it. Planning out 10 steps and seeing the problems takes experience. Since it is round it is more difficult to have references to keep everything straight and plumb.

You will need to do lots of critical metal work too. That takes tools and skills. The locks supplied on the builders kits are often pretty bad. They often consist of as cast parts assembled with no particular care or fitting. Many of the are just plain junk. I normally have to do lots of rebuilding to make a decent lock of them. This includes new plates, tumblers and screws. I consider the locks from the big two lock supplies as kits from which I may be able to make a decent lock.

I never did a Chambers, I understand that they are somewhere between the parts sets and Kibler. I have done four Kiblers'. They get my highest praises.
I've messaged Mr. Kibler to consider making a Pistol kit! I'd grab it up! He sets up at the Dixon's Fair, and had a table full of various choices, at least when I was there couple years back. Thanks for you comments.

Very nice thanks Question Did you have to do all the drilling/tapping and soldering?

Yes, you have to all of that on Chambers kits, but it isn't terribly difficult. On center drilling is your friend. You can find a demonstration of it in Bill Raby's youtube videos. I use that technique on every hole I drill through a gun and it is hard to mess up as long as you locate the hole correctly in the first place. Chambers will also supply the tap drill and clearance drill for every hole you need to drill, so you know you have it right. There is a lot more inletting required on Chambers kits, but the parts are correctly located and again there are many videos to show you how to do it.

My only experience was putting together a Lyman GPR kit before I did a Northstar West Early English Trade gun then a Chambers Virginia rifle. Both took me a long time to finish and neither is perfect, but they don't look bad and they shoot.

I don't mean to talk you out of a Kibler kit, but if you want something he doesn't offer and Chambers does, don't be afraid of trying it.

Yes, you have to drill and tap for the plate/lock and tang bolt into trigger plate. Not as complicated as you would think, just take your time. As far as stocks go, (I shouldn't say this because I'm waiting for one) the stocks I've gotten from Chamber's have had very little issues and they were easily rectified. The rest of the kit was very good quality and his locks are excellent. Kibler used them until recently when he started CNC'ing his own.

You. can get one from TVM I believe/ In the White.... complete just stain Etc.

Latest posts

Back