• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

QLA in TC Seneca or Cherokee?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prairieofthedog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
There is a .32 TC barrel on the Bay now that says it has QLA.It shows the smooth bore section on the end of the barrel.Been looking for Seneca and Cherokee barrels 6-7 years and have never seen one in QLA.Have you guys ever seen one? Just curious,and it is always good to learn.Thanks.

QLA is a false muzzle. From the T/C website:

" Quick Load Accurizor (QLA®), is yet another T/C technology that is standard on all T/C muzzleloaders. QLA makes loading simple and fast. Unlike other muzzleloaders, QLA allows the hunter or shooter to quickly and easily load their muzzleloader by incorporating a false muzzle design into the end of the barrel. In the midst of the hunt, QLA can help save you precious time when loading that second shot. "

I do not recall seeing a T/C factory QLA barrel for a Seneca or Cherokee. Possibly not many made since QLA was introduced near the end of T/C's "traditional" rifle production.

Had a .50 Hawken with QLA but sold it due to it having the factory warning marking on the barrel.

Last edited:
I’ve never seen one with it and I’ve got quite a few. If it’s got it, I would guess that it’s not factory. Maybe out of the T/C custom shop?

I have one if 50 cal., The first inch or so of the bore is drilled out. They are junk IMO. One of T/C's brain farts before they stopped making muzzleloaders.
If I didn't have far better rifles to keep me occupied, I'd cut the end off.

I own several of these rifles and have never seen a QLA on any and I would be a little cautious of it. Does the barrel appear to be in good shape.

Manufacturing dates from Thompson Center are fuzzy and obscure at best.

When did TC ‘invent’ the QLA muzzle treatment? I own one, made sometime after 2000 that is very accurate with PRBs, conicals along with projectiles we don’t speak about here.

As best I can tell, Senecas were made through 1987. Cherokees were made through 1994. The TC factory fire occurred in 1996 and all records were lost. When did they start producing barrels with QLA muzzles? I have never seen or heard of either a Seneca or Cherokee QLA barrel until this particular example. Question timeline/dates. As far as the price, within the past year have purchased an unfired Cherokee for a bit over $400. Have seen others similarly priced. Question sanity of paying $300 for just a barrel, not to mention one with questionable QLA muzzle. Just my opinion.

Did you bid on it? It’s almost up to $300, it’ll be interesting to see what it closes at.
Hell No! $300 plus for a barrel that you have no clue how it will shoot with that muzzle mod.It's either a homemade mod or a rare TC custom modification.Anyway if someone did it on their own it truly de-values the barrel.If the custom shop did it,it is rare because I have not seen another.

Hell No! $300 plus for a barrel that you have no clue how it will shoot with that muzzle mod.It's either a homemade mod or a rare TC custom modification.Anyway if someone did it on their own it truly de-values the barrel.If the custom shop did it,it is rare because I have not seen another.
I bought a Seneca , and cherokee , both in .45 caliber . both unfired and still in the box at auction for $300. nobody bid against me .

I bought a Seneca , and cherokee , both in .45 caliber . both unfired and still in the box at auction for $300. nobody bid against me .
Wow! I want to go to your auctions.That is definitely not the norm! I seldom even see them for sale around here,and if in a gun auction they have online bidding and that really gets the money flying.

Wow! I want to go to your auctions.That is definitely not the norm! I seldom even see them for sale around here,and if in a gun auction they have online bidding and that really gets the money flying.
small town auctions can be pretty cheap.

Small town auctions with guns can also be overpriced. Sometimes you get lucky though.
I usually prefer private estate auctions . gun dealers getting out of the business. in this case I checked the sale list on line , and found exactly what I was looking for .

Back