• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Pyrodex go bad with age? I loaded my double 12 percussion with some 25 year old Pyrodex Friday to shoot skeet and it absolutely would not fire. I just wanted to use it up. I Pulled the load then used the real BP and everything was normal. The Pyrodex was in the original container and had always been dry. I can't see the point as long as you can have the real stuff shipped in.
I'd say it got some some moisture in there while being stored. As far as I know, as long as it is cool and dry, pyrodex as well as bp have an almost infinite shelf life. Dampness can and will seep into any container if given the right conditions. You can also ruin the powder by having excessive oil in your gun or wading. Could be any number of factors. I'd try to rotate and test my powder every 6mo to a year at least. I'm sure that there are plenty of more experienced and more knowledgeable people on here that can explain this better than I can. But thanks for sharing and , as always, enjoy yourself and be safe. :)

My opinion seems to be confirmed, sadly.

My original post was (Molybdenum grease? Sounds rather NON-traditional to me. I would have thought that one of the moderators would have banned reference to it ;-) )
I followed this up with ( Perhaps I am being a bit "thick", but I can't see why it seems to be o.k. to discuss Pyrodex, Triple7 etc -- all of which are NOT "Black Powder". )
Your response ( Yep, you are! ) shows that I got it wrong, but I was surprised by your response(s).
I always thought that you caught more flies with sugar rather than salt.

I am obviously going to go no further with THIS particular thread --- but in my defence I would say that I meant to be gently ironic. I really am NOT "thick" -- having been Head of the Science Department in a Senior High School for 25 years. You could ask a few of my American colleagues, such as Jerry Coates (ex President, Gettysburg Preservation Society, past National Commander, N-SSA) or Phil Schreier (Curator, NRA Museum, Fairfax, VA)

Jim Hallam
Vice-President, NRA (GB); Vice President Emeritus, Historical Breechloading Smallarms Association; Asst. Curator, NRA Museum (Bisley); Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers of the City of London (founded 1637); etc...
I, myself, am "thicc". Which means I have juicy curves the ladies love.

I tried Pyrdex back in the 70's when it was first marketed. Did not like it and went back to real powder. Real black powder is too cheap and easy to get to do otherwise.💥

Both Pyrodex and Triple Seven contain about 30 percent potassium perchlorate. Leave your gun un-cleaned after firing Pyrodex and it will be ruined. Not so with Triple Seven, which also contains about 30 percent potassium perchlorate. The sulfur is the corrosive agent.

BTW: With the exception of Black Horn 209 all the black powder substitutes contain potassium perchlorate. Black MZ contains about 30 percent potassium perchlorate.
Leave your gun un-cleaned after firing Pyrodex and it will be ruined.
How long without cleaning? A day? Week? Month? Hours?

Never ruined or damaged a gun in anyway by not cleaning right away. Often it is late when I get home frm the range or out on a walkabout. I run a cleaning patch down the barrel followed by a dry patch and then a patch soaked in Ballistol. A good cleaning may come a week later. Never any rust or corrosion from ANY powders I have used. I think too many over think this stuff.

I tried Pyrdex back in the 70's when it was first marketed. Did not like it and went back to real powder. Real black powder is too cheap and easy to get to do otherwise.💥
Yeah it was terrible back then. It like getting a jug full of 4 different granule sizes in one jug.
Pressure between same volume loads varied. I seem to remember reading manuals for brass frame revolvers stating do not use Pyrodex.
Nothing like it is now.

Well I'm thinking to use those alternatives like Pyrodex for the days that I can't find some black powder anymore: it's now very expensive (118.00 USD for two pounds) and more difficult each day.
You know why all that: just because in France the law was permissive with all the BP pistol and rifles. Now it's impossible to officially prohibit those arms so the Gov. Macron wants drying up the sources of powder and lead to turn these weapons into scrap metal: no more powder and lead = no more arms. Simple and efficacious, no ?...
I don't like or need Pyrodex or other T7 but just to be able to continue to use my weapons (powder making are also forbidden: state-owned monopoly) but the people can find some when living in a big and very active commercial port ...
For the rest I've nothing for or against substitutes: I'm just in begining to try them for one day comming...

How long without cleaning? A day? Week? Month? Hours?

Personally i always clean rifles soon after firing.

The rifles i used to receive just prior to deer season had usually gone uncleaned for about ten months. They were indistinguishable from the neglected guns that had fired black powder. Nipples rusted and stuck, lock rusted, hammers rusted, breech pitted and rusted, bolster rusted, etc. Some times the rifling was hardly visible. Used lots of Evapo-Rust.

Yep, hunters would look at the calendar, pull out the smoke pole, discover it was rusted and head for my place for cleanup. Then i stopped playing their game.

Both Pyrodex and Triple Seven contain about 30 percent potassium perchlorate. Leave your gun un-cleaned after firing Pyrodex and it will be ruined. Not so with Triple Seven, which also contains about 30 percent potassium perchlorate. The sulfur is the corrosive agent.

BTW: With the exception of Black Horn 209 all the black powder substitutes contain potassium perchlorate. Black MZ contains about 30 percent potassium perchlorate.
Hey Okie, you said-
Leave your gun un-cleaned after firing Pyrodex and it will be ruined.
I personally have never ruined a muzzle loader, although I only shoot and hunt with a .32cal. I shoot almost daily and I sometimes clean daily, and sometimes, its a couple of days. I do clean with Walmart wet wipes and I use lard as patch lube and to wipe down the rest of the gun. A lot of new shooters read these posts and believe everything as gospel! I read one post that said all you had to do was wave a pound of Pyrodex close to a muzzle loader and it would start rusting. Sorry for the rant...

Regardless of which powder you choose or in some cases are forced to use about the best advice for any new shooter is shoot, clean and then lubricate as soon as possible. I have ran into a couple of situations where I could not clean immediately so i patched as good as I could and oiled till I had more time. I also try to wipe all of the residue that I can from the outside of the barrel.

I shot Pyrodex RS for the first time today. It shoots pretty good but I am curious if it has other uses....because it's never going in my rifle again!!! HORRIBLE to clean. I have been shooting Triple 7, about 20 minutes to clean up with water, alcohol and lube. Shiny barrel looks like new.
Same method and 90 minutes later still getting dirty patches. Finally stood the rifle up, poured Ballistol in it and left it while I went for supper. Over an hour later, I pulled patches out of it that were full of fouling. The Ballistol loosened it all up. I think I may have it all, but will check again in the morning.

At the range: Triple 7 gets me 8 or so shots with no swabs. Pyrodex was swab between shots and the patch was thick black crud. Glad I only have 1 lb of it...back to what works, T7.

I shot Pyrodex RS for the first time today. It shoots pretty good but I am curious if it has other uses....because it's never going in my rifle again!!! HORRIBLE to clean. I have been shooting Triple 7, about 20 minutes to clean up with water, alcohol and lube. Shiny barrel looks like new.
Same method and 90 minutes later still getting dirty patches. Finally stood the rifle up, poured Ballistol in it and left it while I went for supper. Over an hour later, I pulled patches out of it that were full of fouling. The Ballistol loosened it all up. I think I may have it all, but will check again in the morning.

At the range: Triple 7 gets me 8 or so shots with no swabs. Pyrodex was swab between shots and the patch was thick black crud. Glad I only have 1 lb of it...back to what works, T7.
Please NOW wash out the barrel with water room temp or slightly warm. Oil of any kind will NOT dissolve the chlorate residue that will ruin a barrel.
I do not like Pyrodex at all and do not use it, but I understand there are some benighted areas of this country where real Black Gunpowder is prohibited so for that reason Pyrodex is the only way to keep shooting. Using water or solvents made for real Black Powder are the only things that will dissolve and remove the salt.
then and nly then oil the bore with your favorite gun oil.

do not know what you are talking about. used pyrodex a hundred times in rifles balls minis conicals revolvers and it cleaned up easily with hot water and soap

Just flushed it again, this time with hot water. Clean now. Maybe Pyrodex just needs the water hot. Thanks.
All I ever do be it black or pyro.
Hot water.
Once folk click its salts doing the harm and water, especially with some heat energy in it dissolves salts we become the master over any corrosion potential 👍

do not know what you are talking about. used pyrodex a hundred times in rifles balls minis conicals revolvers and it cleaned up easily with hot water and soap

I bought my ML to be able to hunt during BP season. I could care less as to what went down the barrel as long as it would push a ball out the end of the barrel safely and was dependable. That was in 1982. I used Pyrodex being it was all I could get locally.I followed the instruction down to a T and I haven't experienced the problems other seem to be having? I still shoot the same rifle and it is deadly accurate as it has always been?

Back