• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because of the hydro absorption properties of both black and Pyro I never leave my flinter loaded for long periods of time. Especially when in the field during wet or snowy weather at the end of the day I unload, clean, and start fresh the next day out. Its just me. Everyone does things differently according to what suits them.

Interesting! Thanks Carbon

Working mostly from from memory, But it actually goes back even farther, to 1780's, when Potassium chlorate was prepared in its pure state by Claude L. Berthollet, a French chemist who discovered its detonating properties. His idea of using potassium chlorate instead of potassium nitrate in black powder was abandoned after a disastrous explosion during manufacture in 1788. Potassium chlorate reacts negatively with one of the other ingredients.
Potassium perchlorate would come along in the 1830's or 40's and the substitution would be tried again and abandoned again. If I recall correctly because it was too energetic and corrosive for the barrels of the period.

In 1865. Smokeless powder, used as a sporting propellant, was invented by Schultze
So we could even say it squeaks into the time frame if we really wanted to but I think that is a stretch.

In 1865. Smokeless powder, used as a sporting propellant, was invented by Schultze
So we could even say it squeaks into the time frame if we really wanted to but I think that is a stretch.
There have been many tests carried out to replace black powder and Edouard Schultze, in Germany, proposed in Berlin in 1865 a powder obtained by nitration of small pieces of wood, carefully treated beforehand. After reaction, the nitrated wood was washed and then soaked in a solution of potassium nitrate and barium nitrate. Thirty years later, this powder was still manufactured and sold as hunting powder...
I never knew whether or not there was a continuation in this direction, anyway, Paul Vieille's work on smokeless powder made a lot of interesting things disappear in these directions of research ...

Those who properly clean their guns soon after firing have no problems with Pyrodex or any other powder.

For many years i would get a dozen or muzzleloaders guns from hunters close to deer season. They expected me to perform magic on guns left uncleaned since last deer season. For years i worked diligently with Scotch Brite, valve grinding compound and steel wool; attempting to to make the rifles serviceable.

Finally one year i just stopped. Folks can work on their own rusty neglected guns.

Last edited:
There have been many tests carried out to replace black powder and Edouard Schultze, in Germany, proposed in Berlin in 1865 a powder obtained by nitration of small pieces of wood, carefully treated beforehand. After reaction, the nitrated wood was washed and then soaked in a solution of potassium nitrate and barium nitrate. Thirty years later, this powder was still manufactured and sold as hunting powder...
I never knew whether or not there was a continuation in this direction, anyway, Paul Vieille's work on smokeless powder made a lot of interesting things disappear in these directions of research ...

Indeed, during the 19th century a great number of recipes and discoveries were made regarding propellants and black powder. It really is very fascinating the level of scientific discovery that was going on at the same time men were running around in loin cloths.

I wouldn't be scared away from using pyrodex if it means the difference between shooting or not shooting because you have no powder. I would rather shoot black because it ignites easier and is traditional but it's hard to get for me too so sometimes I shoot pyrodex to help my stash of black last longer. Been doing that for 25 years and haven't ruined a gun yet. If pyrodex was as bad as some people claim then no one would keep using it and it has been around for a good while.
Correctomundo! I have been using it for many years and I haven’t been excommunicated, my reproductive parts haven’t dropped off, my daughter hasn't been molested by a diseased moose, and all of my dozen + smokers have bright shiny bores.

Here is a photograph of a stainless breech plug from a gun we don’t talk about here that I pulled for a guy. Bore looked ok, with typical Pyrodox frosting. But the little Pyrodox residue that got past the face seal was eating away the stainless breech plug and barrel. Threads were covered with Never Seize and appeared ok. Blackpowder residue does not corrode like this. View attachment 39111
Also an indicator of incomplete cleaning.

"bang" Never had much trouble with Pyrodex. However I have to be mindful of measuring it correctly according to my desired charge. Pitting and rusting?? Well, I use the old "kettle and tub" method to clean my firearms. It seems that everybody is becoming totally "anal retentive" on this cleaning issue, I have to agree. Kettling a rifle or any black powder firearm is a pretty darned involved process that takes time to do correctly. Folks, I can give a whole seminar on how to clean it the way my Great-great Grandad did. His rifle's bore still is bright and still can shoot a very fine grouping. I do remember my Granddaddy's words well after getting cuffed "Every time after you fire this rife you clean and oil her down to the, nipple, barrel, and screws.....I MEAN!!.....EVERY TIME!!" he paused "Before you fire her, check her for cleanliness......" he finished.

What I said and the way I said it.....Folks. No pun intended.

Last edited:
Does Pyrodex go bad with age? I loaded my double 12 percussion with some 25 year old Pyrodex Friday to shoot skeet and it absolutely would not fire. I just wanted to use it up. I Pulled the load then used the real BP and everything was normal. The Pyrodex was in the original container and had always been dry. I can't see the point as long as you can have the real stuff shipped in.

Does Pyrodex go bad with age? I loaded my double 12 percussion with some 25 year old Pyrodex Friday to shoot skeet and it absolutely would not fire. I just wanted to use it up. I Pulled the load then used the real BP and everything was normal. The Pyrodex was in the original container and had always been dry. I can't see the point as long as you can have the real stuff shipped in.
I have heard from others that say it goes bad. I have some that is over 25 years old and still fires just as good so I don't really know the deal. I did live in a dry climate though until recently, maybe that has something to do with it. It does attract moisture. Mine stays in original sealed container except for what is in the powder flask.

Sorry for any dumb questions but I assume if I follow this chart from Hodgdon this will get me started when my new Frontier .50 cal percussion arrives? I have ordered Hornady .490 balls, but have heard to not go with pre-lubed patches so I have TC#13 and Bore Butter ordered as well. I have both of these powders coming to try too. Getting too old for all this excitement.
Not trying to highjack the thread, just finding out where to look for answers and post these questions. Thanks.

1597002869593.png

Only dumb question is the one not asked. It should help get you started except I don't see the load for how many grains or did that just not get copied? I like to start with grains + to caliber and work up 5 grains at a time so a 45, start with 45 grains. Pistols and small calibers I go with half the caliber. Keep in mind 777 is slightly more energetic so slightly less powder.

Sorry for any dumb questions but I assume if I follow this chart from Hodgdon this will get me started when my new Frontier .50 cal percussion arrives? I have ordered Hornady .490 balls, but have heard to not go with pre-lubed patches so I have TC#13 and Bore Butter ordered as well. I have both of these powders coming to try too. Getting too old for all this excitement.
Not trying to highjack the thread, just finding out where to look for answers and post these questions. Thanks.

View attachment 39388
Your .50 will work with any powder load from 30 to 100 grains of Pyrodex but most likely it will work best with a load of around 65 to 70 grains.
Good luck with the TC#13 cleaner. It caused instant surface rust in the pistol I tried using it on.

Your .50 will work with any powder load from 30 to 100 grains of Pyrodex but most likely it will work best with a load of around 65 to 70 grains.
Good luck with the TC#13 cleaner. It caused instant rust in the pistol I tried using it on.
ok....so maybe the TC#13 will work to lube the window hinges on the house....thanks for the tip.

Back