• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex Vs. Traditional Black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Pyrodex in my Ithaca Hawkin and used it since 1985. It shot well for me. I don't understand how so many here have problems with it? I even had some of the first I bought when I got the rifle that I recently used and it still performed as always? I do keep it in my home and it is a constant temperature. This might be why it still works?

Then it pretty much comes down to availability doesn't it?Oh and lets not forget price!
No, real black powder is a superior product all the way round.
Price differences have been negated by the largest substitute propellant manufacturer acquiring the only U.S. manufacturer of real black powder.
This caused a significant increase in the price of real black powder. How that acquisition didn't violate antitrust laws is beyond me.

I used Pyrodex in my Ithaca Hawkin and used it since 1985. It shot well for me. I don't understand how so many here have problems with it? I even had some of the first I bought when I got the rifle that I recently used and it still performed as always? I do keep it in my home and it is a constant temperature. This might be why it still works?
Is that a percussion or flintlock gun?

No, real black powder is a superior product all the way round.
Price differences have been negated by the largest substitute propellant manufacturer acquiring the only U.S. manufacturer of real black powder.
This caused a significant increase in the price of real black powder. How that acquisition didn't violate antitrust laws is beyond me.
I'm no English Major, but I believe you are saying Black Powder Does cost more,right?

Typically no, but it depends on the brand and where you buy it.
What I was saying, is that there has been a huge increase in the price of Goex since Hodgdon took them over. This has narrowed the price difference significantly.

It's a lot of money to pay for what is essentially Bull manure, coal power plant waste, and wood scraps.

Typically no, but it depends on the brand and where you buy it.
What I was saying, is that there has been a huge increase in the price of Goex since Hodgdon took them over. This has narrowed the price difference significantly.

It's a lot of money to pay for what is essentially Bull manure, coal power plant waste, and wood scraps.
Is this expensive?
Walk

Attachments

• 73ED7A82-2C46-4946-8463-BA1A7EDB9217.png
    73ED7A82-2C46-4946-8463-BA1A7EDB9217.png
    164 KB · Views: 180
I buy from Grafs. The HazMat seems to have dropped from something like $20 to $12.50 with $9.95 shipping to my door. And there at Grafs I’m not only getting a much better price but a much better powder as well.

Swiss powder is now $29.99 there, still a much better deal at ~$52.50 as their price excludes tax and gas to get there and back.

It is a percussion rifle.
That makes a world of difference.
I shot pyrodex in my cap lock all though the 70's and 80's when real BP was hard for me to get.
Given the choice though, I will take real BP hands down,because it works flawlessly in all my black powder toys.
It's almost like black powder guns were designed to use real blackpowder.:D

Yup everyone, thats per pound. Welcome to Canada!!
Thats why holy black is reserved for special occasions or flint only. Pyrodex is for cappers, and I have shot it for 20+ years with absolutely no issues. I will argue with anyone who decides to listen to the “kool-aid” all over the internet, including this forum, speaking ill towards it.
As many have already seen.
Walk

Yup everyone, thats per pound. Welcome to Canada!!
Thats why holy black is reserved for special occasions or flint only. Pyrodex is for cappers, and I have shot it for 20+ years with absolutely no issues. I will argue with anyone who decides to listen to the “kool-aid” all over the internet, including this forum, speaking ill towards it.
As many have already seen.
Walk
Didn’t catch the Cabelas.ca on your previous post.

Heyya, I know that through the years many thing have been done and tried with the love for our side lock arms. For myself, hitting 60 now...it has never grown old. My greatest return from all of this has been the people. All walks of life..same dedication. I have learned, sometimes it is better to listen and gather in what people have to say. It a fact that you never stop learning no matter how old one gets in respect to our beloved hobby. Thats why I like this forum so much...
I remember the $6.50 a pound black powder price.....stay well.
SM

I have found that Hazmat price IS cheaper that gas prices. I live within driving range of the places that carry it and still get my powder shipped for less.

After being a dealer and competitor in BP I found and believe totally BP shooter are the cheapest folks around.

It costs me a $50 buck tank of gas to go to the ME powder house or Kittery Trading post. The only saving grace is I have to go through Cornish ME and get to have lunch at the Bay Haven Restaurant, one of the best seafood places in southern ME.

We may stop at Cabala's but just to look at their fish tank as their store price is more than online with the shipping.

does it really matter? Has anyone ever done a Empirical study between the two?
SM

The testing I did was not with Pyrodex, but with another bp sub. The product was made by BlackMag Industries. They produced a “priming powder” called BlackMag Flash - “for the serious flintlock shooter” (their words).

A hunting article in MuzzleBlasts mentioned it as a replacement for Bp priming powder. I timed it as I do for Swiss null b, and Goex ffffg, fffg, ffg, fg, and cannon grade.

The sub was only timed as a pan powder. It was considerably slower than any BP I timed. In fact it was slower than Goex cannon grade.

Assuming a good lock with a good flint, Swiss Null b will time in .0300 seconds, Goex cannon .0700, with other BP samples found in between. BlackMag flash ended up .1400. - basically twice as slow as Goex cannon.

I gave some of this to a friend who shoots offhand at Friendship. After a couple practice shoots, he gave it back, unwilling to fire record shots with it.

As I mentioned I did NOT time other BP subs in the pan. I won’t speculate about others. BTW, BlackMag Industries is no longer in business.
Regards,
Pletch

Latest posts

Back