• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex RS vs Black Powder FFg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IowaShooter said:
I live in Iowa and had a bad pyrodex situation. I was using it in my CVA Hawken and when I dropped the hammer on the cap it failed to fire. Tried a second and third cap. Made sure that the nipple was clear and tried a 4th. Nope. Had to put real BP in the channel and then it went bang. This was many years ago and the bottle of pyrodex is still sitting on the shelf. I'll stick with real BP.
I'd be willing to bet that pyrodex wasn't the problem.......try it again...

I bet you had a carbon wall between the powder charge and nipple......very common when using pyrodex..

I can't speak for pyrodex but 777 has always worked fine for me in my percussion guns. I also emailed hogdon about shelf life and this was their response:

There would not be a so called shelf life, the powder does not lose potency over time, however, Black powder and BP substitutes like to draw moisture and when this happens they have ignition problems which people think of that of losing power.

Mike Van Dyke
Customer Service Representative
Hodgdon Powder Company

If you forget to clean after using pyrodex, it will eat the steel in your bore. I will never use it again.
NW

I've never used Pyrodex in a muzzleloader or c&b revolver. The only time I ever tried it was long ago when I loaded up .45 Colt cartridges with it and was disappointed with it's performance. I have three bottles of it, three different grades. Since I mostly shoot and exclusively hunt with flinters, only BP is used. Long ago a friend gave me the Pyrodex which I know is at least 30 plus years old. All three had been opened. I think I will test and chronograph all three grades in my little .45 caplock and post the results here. I have used and still have some Dupont that's over 50 years old; I've almost shot up the stash and have only one can left, I think. It has worked wonderfully. Right now it's difficult for me to get out during the week as I am tied up (figuratively speaking) M-F. Weekends are out as that's the time when all the matches, etc, are conducted. But it will be at least a couple weeks or more so stay tuned.

This is the rifle I'll used. It was built by Mike Lange (unfortunately he has stopped building guns) and is accurate to the point I almost use it exclusively in postal shoots. It has won me 1st place before. The barrel is short but heavy. It is one of his "RugRat" rifles built for youngsters. It fits me perfectly.

I buy BP for my flinters. I haven't bought pyrodex or 777 but I have 6 lbs. & use it plinking, as several people gave me partial cans. A day at the range with mostly smoothbores I can go thru a can of Pyrodex and 100 shots/lb. with the .45-70.
I know how to clean a gun so that is not an issue.

Nit Wit said:
If you forget to clean after using pyrodex, it will eat the steel in your bore. I will never use it again.
NW

But that's not a problem with Black?? You mean I've been diligently cleaning promptly after firing BP all these years for nought. Dang it! :idunno:

Gene L said:
What is the shelf life of Pyrodex?

I bought some Pyrodex for use in a Gallagher Carbine back in 1978. I packed it in a plastic carton along with powder, brass & some patches. It sat inside that case through several moves, storage, then spent the last 23 years up on a shelf in my garage, where it easily reaches over 130º in the summer. Just stumbled across it last year & have been shooting it in cap & ball revolvers, a couple of caplocks, and also with flinters using a 5 gr. BP kicker charge. It fires every time & there's nothing weak about it

Stoy said:
What do you prefer it and why ? Is it not a advantage to get Pyrodex since you can get more shots per pound ?
Is one safer to travel with in a car ?
Is the FPS you see the same 90grains by volume Pyrodex vs 90 grains FFg ?
Thanks

If car travel safety with powder concerns you, it may be wise to give your driving skills some impartial evaluation. :rotf:

Zonie said:
Speaking only for myself, ... I don't have a problem with allowing discussions about the synthetic black powder

No disagreement at all, Jim. I was just pointing out that the substitutes are outside the parameters of this Forum, but they are the only game in town for those who can't get gunpowder.

colorado clyde said:
IowaShooter said:
I live in Iowa and had a bad pyrodex situation. I was using it in my CVA Hawken and when I dropped the hammer on the cap it failed to fire. Tried a second and third cap. Made sure that the nipple was clear and tried a 4th. Nope. Had to put real BP in the channel and then it went bang. This was many years ago and the bottle of pyrodex is still sitting on the shelf. I'll stick with real BP.
I'd be willing to bet that pyrodex wasn't the problem.......try it again...

I bet you had a carbon wall between the powder charge and nipple......very common when using pyrodex..

I might use it in my cap and ball revolvers, but never in my front stuffer again. Too big a pain in the @**.

Where in Iowa can one even buy Black Powder ? Every Gun Store I have been to does not sell it. They tell me you have to have a explosives license to sell it.
I know it's sold on line, I just don't need a case in one purchase.
Thanks

The places in this link might have real black powder.
I really don't know if they do or they don't but I found the site on a Google search.
http://local.biggamehunt.net/Black_Powder_Supply_Stores_Des_Moines_IA-p1712358-Des_Moines_IA.html

You might also try to get a hold of someone that shoots real black powder competition in Iowa.

Although they might buy the powder in large quantities via the net, and they cannot sell it to you, some of them might know of local sources that you could go to.
http://www.iowablackpowderfederation.net/

As for the comment about a Federal Explosives License, they are correct.

The Federal Governmant requires anyone who sells real black powder to have a license. This includes individuals, not just stores.

They are also required to have a locked storage area that meets Federal requirements.

Add those requirements to the negative attitude many insurance companies have about their clients storing explosives and you can see why dealers are not all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stoy said:
Where in Iowa can one even buy Black Powder ? Every Gun Store I have been to does not sell it. They tell me you have to have a explosives license to sell it.
I know it's sold on line, I just don't need a case in one purchase.
Thanks

I buy it from the Bass Pro store in Altoona. It's about 10 or so miles from where I live.

The next time I go by I will have to pick some up. Looks like this year I will be using Pyrodex for Deer season.
I want to try Black Powder just don't think it's worth a 3 hour trip one way as I'm in Dubuque area. Thanks Guys

I just tried some Pyrodex today because that's all I could find. I had been using American Pioneer and liked it. The Pyrodex is much harder to clean and stinks bad. It has been a long time since I used any real black powder (can't seem to find any around here to buy) - I know it was sort of messy, but I think the Pyrodex is even worse. I sure wish I could get more of the American Pioneer, but it doesn't seem to be available any more.

Try Black MZ from Alliant...it's a good substitute for American pioneer. and perfect for people who don't like to clean their guns and can't stand the smell of sulfur...

Of course if you're not shooting Real Black powder,...... you're really not shooting a traditional muzzleloader.....only a facsimile....

Back