• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pyrodex P

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
With the black powder shortage, I was think I may try some substitute powder in my rifles and pistols.

y’all have any luck with it?
Does it give similar pressures/velocities to Goex?

When my dad acquired our first BP revolver back in the mid-70's, Pyrodex is what the gun shop recommended so that's what we shot for a long time. The revolver was a .44 cal 1858 Remington repro and we must've shot twenty pounds of Pyrodex through it over the next few years. Not a single hiccup. The fouling was always a bit on the crusty side, but we didn't know that until I branched out on my own and started buying Goex. Don't put off cleaning afterward and make sure to do a good job of it and you'll be fine.

It should work ok. I recently tried some Pyrodex Select. I really like that as a sub. About the same as T7.
Good to know. I picked up some of the Select the other day as a reserve if my GOEX starts running low, I was wondering how it was. I'll just have to pour it in a GOEX can so the guys at my club don't give me trouble Ha!

The title of the thread says "Pyrodex P," which I think the manufacturer intended for handguns. "P" referring to pistols. There is a Pyrodex RS intended for rifles and shotguns. I have shot a little of each, in revolvers and rifles, respectively, but didn't try "mixing and matching." After some limited trials, I found I preferred black powder overall, and I haven't done anything with Pyrodex of either granulation in quite a while.

It may be worth looking into, though, while black powder is hard to get. I also bought a can or bottle or jar of Alliant Black MZ a year or so ago, because the price was attractive and shipping issues were less onerous than with black powder, but I haven't even broken the seal on the container yet. I have no idea how it compares.

I don't know if the P versus RS designation would really make any difference. Maybe those who have tried both in the same gun could advise us. It would be great to find an objective comparison of the two Pyrodexes (Pyrodices?), Black MZ, and black powder in the same gun with the same ball and patch combination. Maybe somebody has already done it. :dunno:

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I was given P pyrodex to try. I have shot in 44, 36 50 and 58 without a problem after working the load. It may be the one of the many alternatives we have for a while, as said before, clean weapon well after using. Worked load in a flint lock but primed with gun powder, ignition seemed slow but fired, notice I stated gun powder, don't know what F it would be considered.

I used Pyrodex P for my pistols and percussion rifles till 2013. That was the year of my stroke. Got back to doing this about 2019. I still have about seven pounds of Goex 3f and my flintlocks will like that. T7 seems like the best sub though. Brian

For the first 15 years of my muzzleloading experience, I used Pyrodex exclusively. Didn't know there was anything else, nor of the controversy between Pyrodex vs. "Real Black". It worked fine, never had a problem with shooting or cleaning. Still have my first muzzleloader bought in 1977, Investarms/Charles Daly Hawken, that has had nothing but Pyrodex down the barrel for 44 years. The bore looks brand new, and still groups spectacularly with a PRB using a empty .45-70 shell as a powder measure. My eyes now suck, but younger fellas who shoot my rifle are amazed at the accuracy, 1 ragged hole at 75 yards. Granulation for granulation, Pyrodex is slightly hotter than Goex, but Triple 7 is clearly superior, velocity wise. I really like Triple 7, but when I went shopping the other day for powder, Pyrodex P was $19.99/lb. and Triple 7 was $34.99/lb. I bought Pyrodex. If I want or need more velocity, I'll just dump a little extra down the tube. I save my hard to get (even before Goex went belly up) real black powder for flintlock shooting.

Back