• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex More Corrosive Than Black?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PeteDavis said:
Everyone I know that jumped on the pyrodex bandwagon in the 1980's now has trashed bores. Is this a cleaning issue or is pyrodex more corrosive than black?

PD (your severely twisted appalachian seventh cousin)

When I first started using Pyrodex in my ROA back in the mid-80's it was in UK, where, from time to time, it rains.

No problems.

Then we sort of settled in the east of the country, where it rains quite a bit.

And futzed around in North Wales, where it rains for a living.

All the while shooting my ROA and using Pyrodex P, like it says to.

It's now March 2nd, 2014 [my birthday] and I've just been out celebrating the event by shooting as many guns as would go into the truck of my station wagon - that's twelve out of the eighteen I actually DO have.

One of them was my faithish ROA.

And now, it's lying here on the table beside me, looking pretty good, now it's clean, and you know what, with half a gazillion rounds up the spout, there is no trace of corrosion anywhere.

Funny old thing, that, eh?

tac

Frankly I do not see a reason to use Pyrodex in anything.

Some use it as they cannot get BP w/o ordering 5 lbs and not having the $$ to do so. I have used all subs except shockeys and T7 is the best but never had an issue cleaning, igniting or anything else with pyrodex.

Its all in the common sense factor (missing in many), you shoot you clean you happy. :grin:

"I am amused and disgusted every time I go to a place like Cabelas . Where behind the gun counter is some young kid who grew up thinking guns were for hunting Zombies."

Unfortunately I doubt you are kidding.

And it's this type of attitude towards the younger people, and those who are unfamiliar, that will be the end of traditional ways. Would you listen to you if spoken to like that? Absolutely amazing and that is what is disgusting.

I would agree that an experienced or knowledgeable person ought to be the one working the muzzleloaders though. You need to know what it is you are trying to sell or talk about.

Basically NOBODY that does not shoot BP has a clue so would be hard to find IMO.

I called bass pro 140 miles away 2 weeks ago to see if they had BP, NO the guy says (after asking someone more knowledgeable). So I stayed home. Few days later a member posted he was there and bought a pound! Whatever. beats the time I made em swear they would hold a pound for me, drove the 140 miles and showed up to be handed a can of pyrodex! :cursing:

Exactly! Big box sporting goods retailers do considerable harm to all the gun related sports. “mark my words” unknowledgeable sales people, have the potential to do physical and mental harm to unknowledgeable customers. These companies are focused only on profits.
Now, there are many good companies out there and many knowledgeable people too. Midway USA for example will actually try to educate their customers.
By not criticizing these faults we enable them to reproduce and in turn we are all harmed by it.

rodwha said:
Unfortunately I doubt you are kidding.

And it's this type of attitude towards the younger people, and those who are unfamiliar, that will be the end of traditional ways. Would you listen to you if spoken to like that? Absolutely amazing and that is what is disgusting.

My animosity is directed toward management when B. S. and gobbley guk are spewed from over a sales counter, not the person behind the counter. If only they knew how many dollars walk out the door due to such incompetence?

You directed it at the kid behind the counter who thinks guns are for killing zombies though.

I do think that they should train their salespeople dealing with correctly.

It was a relatable example to make a point that you keep agreeing with me on. You may offer your own example if you like :v
I am courios which part of that statement you have an issue with and why. :idunno:

Big box sporting goods retailers do considerable harm to all the gun related sports

Can't disagree. But, really, the customer has to take some responsibility. It is not the job of a big store to educate. That can happen in smaller, more service orientated stores though. When I started my gun shop in Indiana I learned very quickly that there was no way I could compete with the big box store down the road. So, I didn't try to compete. I went over and around what they offered. I offered services like gunsmithing, ordering hard to find items, doing trades and just trying to be a helpful service to them.

Rifleman1776 said:
Big box sporting goods retailers do considerable harm to all the gun related sports

Can't disagree. But, really, the customer has to take some responsibility. It is not the job of a big store to educate. That can happen in smaller, more service orientated stores though. When I started my gun shop in Indiana I learned very quickly that there was no way I could compete with the big box store down the road. So, I didn't try to compete. I went over and around what they offered. I offered services like gunsmithing, ordering hard to find items, doing trades and just trying to be a helpful service to them.

I agree they are not there to educate but on the same note, if they don't know they should not be giving BS answers or statements. I have been around long enough to know better but to someone new to this sport not knowing better, it could end disastrously.

1. They are both corrosive once fired. It is the residue in the bore.
2. Cleaning the firearm with either eliminates troubles.
3. Between the two, I've always been told that Pyrodex is more corrosive regardless of its other properties.

My problem with all the BIG stores is that the sales help generally has only a superficial knowledge of their subject. Frankly, that was true when I sold sporting goods decades ago. And my knowledge then was severely limited.

I needed a forstner bit and went to several different box stores and folks tried to sell me all kinds of things including spade bits. A fellow at Ace at least knew what a Forstner bit was, looked it up and ordered it for me at cost.

When I needed glazier tacks, the guys at Lowes couldn't find them, though they were shown on inventory. (they aren't kept with the glass or the putty, store computer put them with the picture frames?)

My last visit to Cabela's ended when i overheard a salesman telling a father and son that a flintlock rifles (we have a flintlock season for three weeks) was limited to 30 yards in range for deer, but an in-line was good to 150 yds. I challenged the salesman to a match at a range a few miles down the road, which he declined. Then his tactic shifted to flinters require real black powder, and Dad would have to store an explosive in their house to be able to shoot the gun.

My T/C Hawken goes back to the late '80's and the old guy I got it from only shot Pyrodex out of it. This gun is in very good condition and in the hands of a better marksman than myself is a tack driver.
Now I only shoot black powder myself but my Hawken is proof that with proper cleaning and maintenance you have no worries with Pyrodex.

And it really should be a moot point. You should never let any BP gun sit after shooting without giving it a cleaning, regardless of the powder you use. If cleaning is going to be an issue away from the range, then clean it at the range. It doesn't take much time and effort to preserve a gun that should out live you by a couple generations.

Latest posts

Back