• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new at this and have been looking for some loading data. Have had no luck online.

Rifle: T/C Hawken 50 Caliber, 28" barrel
Powder: Pyrodex RS
Bullet: T/C 320 grain Maxi-Ball
Caps: CCI No. 11

What would be a good load for a beginner? And where can I go to find good loading data?

Thank you in advance.

They claim it is equal to FF black powder.

In a .50 I would start at 50 grains adjust till you find what shoots best.

My TC .50 is pretty happy with 60 grains behind a .495 ball, .018 patch

Because its the 320gr version and not the 370gr maxiball, I would suggest starting at 70 grains RS and go from there. Also may want to try a lubed felt wad under that conical. If you experience hang fires, I highly suggest looking into the Knight redhot #11 nipple. Much better flowing nipple than the factory stuff.

Since you didn't say what the intended use would be, I will speculate that your rifle will be used for hunting.

You will need a grease like lubricant to fill the grooves. Use something based on a thick grease. I would think that most of the various Bee's Wax and Olive oil or Lard or tallow mixtures.
You need a volumetric powder measure.

Why not use a 0.490" round ball wrapped in 0.015" pillow ticking and an oil lube? Recoil will be a lot less and easier to shoot.

Enjoy your new rifle.

Actually this is for fun. I was never exposed to hunting as a youth and hence did not develop a sense of it. And when I became an adult I was doing so many other things that it just wasn't on the radar.

No, this will be for fun. But thank you for the suggestions.

Also, when looking at load data, your pyrodex RS is equivalent to goex ff. The concept of "load data" doesn't apply to ml guns the way it does to modern smokeless Loading. Within a reasonable range you are safe and free to decide what you prefer. The reasonable range can be found at the link provided by maven.

For straight up fun, shoot .490” round balls and a .015”-.018” patch that you can lube yourself. 60 or 65 grains by volume of Pyrodex (I would use Pyrodex P myself, but RS works. It is just more coarse and hard to pour from a flask or horn) will be very accurate, soft recoiling and much cheaper.
Walk

Actually this is for fun. I was never exposed to hunting as a youth and hence did not develop a sense of it. And when I became an adult I was doing so many other things that it just wasn't on the radar.

No, this will be for fun. But thank you for the suggestions.
You will find the Maxiball has a lot more ‘fun’ in it than a roundball. More a rainbow like trajectory to work with. More recoil to help knock the plaque off your teeth. Slightly cleaner holes in your paper target.

You may want to consider trying roundballs. Easier on you and your gun. Doubt paper targets will care one way or the other.

Please note, every one says ‘by volume’. Pyrodex is not as dense as black powder.
Measure with a black powder measure. A hundred grain measures of black powder will throw about eighty grains of pyrodex.
You get about 25% more shots from a pound of pyrodex then a pound of black.
Always measure by volume not by weight

Thompson/Center put out a booklet called "Shooting Thompson/Center Side Lock Black Powder Muzzleloading Firearms". It is available on line and has loading data for all (?) the sizes they made. Your .50 is covered on page 79. There is a lot of other information in there.

Seems it was a two step process. Contact them and request an owners manual and they sent me a link???

Lets make getting the manual a one step process and click on the link below.

https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/manuals/Hawken_Manual.pdf

I too will recommend getting Pyrodex P. (Personally I much prefer GOEX Black Powder but real black powder can be nearly impossible to find at local or even the big box gun stores.)

I also recommend the aftermarket Hot Shot, Red Hot, or Spitfire nipples with 1/4-28 threads. These nipples are designed to deliver a hotter flame than the standard nipple to the firing chamber to ignite the sometimes hard to ignite Pyrodex.

I am new at this and have been looking for some loading data. Have had no luck online.

Rifle: T/C Hawken 50 Caliber, 28" barrel
Powder: Pyrodex RS
Bullet: T/C 320 grain Maxi-Ball
Caps: CCI No. 11

What would be a good load for a beginner? And where can I go to find good loading data?

Thank you in advance.
Fprice, I use 70 grains 2f pyrodex .10 oxyoke patch with homemade .495 R.B.
Combo seems to work well

SM

That TC manual is a great resource but don't follow the advice to clean with boiling hot water! Use tap warm or even cold. The boiling hot will set off flash rust even before the barrel has a chance to cool off.

My Dixie Tennessee Mountain rifle shoots 60 grains of Pyrodex P equal to 65 grains of FFFG with a .495 olive oiled patch into the same point of aim at 50 yards. Performance wise I can't see much difference between the two except the Pyrodex load has a much more distinct and satisfying "Crack" to it when fired. But my TMR has never been very fussy like other rifles I've owned and after 40 years is still shooting sweet.

Latest posts

Back