• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex “P” High Pressure Cylinder Over Rotation…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ran Blackhorn209 since it’s conception in my in-lines the stuff is hot and accurate, love it but I never even thought about it in a cap and ball. I am am going to have to give it a try.

Well I haven't read all of the posts on this but surely someone has made the point that the more you compress yuck o dex the higher the pressure will be. Decades ago when I used it I (very stupidly) compressed it with a hard wad in a 1860 steel frame 44 pistolle and boy I had power and it almost sounded like a smokeless load. After one cylinder the frame was stretched so much that it was only a wall hanger but thank God it didn't hurt me. Anyway make sure you shoot some real bp after that stuff or even cleaning immediately it will rust like crazy.

I’m wondering if the flash channel through your nipples are too large. It’s a part of why Colt shooters replace the nipples from what I’ve gleaned, that it also ejects spent caps into the lock work.
Exactly, I stripped down a colt walker replica I got super cheap, there was a bunch of caps in the nooks causing the cylinder to not lock up properly, after a good scrubbing it functions perfectly

Well I haven't read all of the posts on this but surely someone has made the point that the more you compress yuck o dex the higher the pressure will be. Decades ago when I used it I (very stupidly) compressed it with a hard wad in a 1860 steel frame 44 pistolle and boy I had power and it almost sounded like a smokeless load. After one cylinder the frame was stretched so much that it was only a wall hanger but thank God it didn't hurt me. Anyway make sure you shoot some real bp after that stuff or even cleaning immediately it will rust like crazy.
Given that real black powder is becoming extremely difficult to obtain, and not everyone has the means to make it themselves, that option is becoming much less tenable.

I've run Pyrodex in my revolver, exclusively, and it hasn't been a rust catalyst, anymore than black powder has been a rust catalyst in my flintlock pistol.

As for your over-compression of Pyrodex years ago, the instructions say not to compress it. That is your own fault--not that of the product. I don't have problems with Pyrodex stretching my revolver's frame because I follow the instructions.

The bottom line is that Pyrodex is a safe and effective product for use in black powder weapons using in-line cap ignition systems, and it won't make your weapon rust while you're at the range. Take it from someone who has never shot black powder out of his revolver, while shooting in 90% humidity.

Latest posts

Back