• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Putty knife to patch knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Find an old wooden handle putty knife from who knows when. They are usually priced close to free. Make sure it has a wooden handle and is full tang. Grind away the blade to a knife profile without overheating it. Sharpen it. Add some linseed or true oil to the handle. Makes a razor sharp old looking knife in about 30 minutes.

The completed one was made by Red Devil. I'm not sure about the unfinished one, it's unmarked.

Attachments

• 20220604_043910.jpg
    20220604_043910.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220604_043933.jpg
    20220604_043933.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220604_043928.jpg
    20220604_043928.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I believe that it does have enough carbon and is also hard enough but I don't know the specs. Mine is razor sharp and holds its edge after carving wood and cutting cloth. The steel is very similar to an old saw blade.

I would expect that a modern Chinese made one might be unsuitable because they are stamped from sheet metal. These old US made ones are made from spring steel and are heat treated.

Last edited:
I once bought a whole bunch from a guy at ronny. For years I used them for blanket prizes and gifts. Finally my friends asked me to stop giving them as they had more than they could use. I might still have one or two. They do hold an edge OK.

Thank you for a good idea. I have a couple old ones, with damaged blades, already re-shaped from use.
(Just what I needed, another project; needed though.)

My favorite, antler crown & pewter handled, neck/patch knife had been sharpened past the harmon when I got it. Takes a good edge but can't hold it. Have to carry a small stone in my pouch to touch it up.

Here’s one I made in the mid 80’s from a 5 & 1 Painters scraper…
The one in the picture is a later version, it has a hollow plastic handle where the one I used had a solid plastic handle..,Both had good steel and would hold an edge long enough too skin a deer…

This one’s dressed a couple…

D5AF890B-D856-46CE-A6F5-DD64F73DEA02.jpeg

D46A415D-9352-41E9-BA72-4BE4ABEA0E93.jpeg

B1AA13E4-A626-4162-9A5F-39981DDA031C.jpeg

The scrapers were not as flexible as the putty knifes.👍

True, but I don't believe that a U.S. manufacturer in 1931 would decide to buy a lesser grade blade material to sell to the general public. I have to go to our tool and die shop in the next week or two, and just for curiosities sake, I'll take a few old putty knives that's at least 50 years old, and a Red Devil that was bought within the past 5 years and see what the Rockwell hardness is.

Back