• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Putting food on the table with primitive weapons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the long weekend I was able to sneak a little hunting in about every day. I smoked the squirrels I killed last week and made nachos with the meat I promised my friends I would make them at the barbershop. They turned out well!

rCNilRh.jpg

I killed a few more with my smoothbore flinter.

3S0aw1t.jpg

Ldhg9Kd.jpg

I also blooded my new recurve!

RXzDRct.jpg

No, I have not even come close to putting a dent into the local squirrel population.

Darren

It is absolutely great, this is furthered by the fact that squirrel hunting is so fun. There are a few ways to cook squirrel that are truly awesome. I shot squirrels long before I ever shot a deer, and ate every one of those squirrels.

I always hunted big game. Never got around to squirrels. Does it taste like any other meat I might know.

Chicken will work.

I was born and brought up in New England. Too long ago to remember how popular squirrel hunting was. I did a little rabbit hunting but I was hooked after the first deer I shot. Plus, deer hunting was all my dad and brother did at the time. We all went to Colorado and got hooked on elk.

I always hunted big game. Never got around to squirrels. Does it taste like any other meat I might know.
To me it’s a venison like flavor, or a small bite of venison and chicken at the same time.
I use it with the same spices I use for beef or venison when cooking

Starting as a kid with a BB gun I shot a rabbit or two and then started on squirrels with a pellet rifle and so on. I did a number on squirrels and only got seriously into deer hunting in my early 20s. Took them with .32 and .36 muzzleloaders and a few with a .45. As a kid my grandmother, who raised me, cooked them for me along with the occasional rabbit. They are good and taste like......well, like rodent. :cool:

The expert seems to be some guy: Hovey Smith ,backyard
muzzleloading hunting books. He lives in the middle
of Georgia. He even took muzzleloaders to Africa for
big game. An Old dude. He has a youtube channel. Tons of
recipes and advice. I have shot a lot of game, but
only really cooked venison-- and with beef prices up, going
back to doing it. As a kid, my family cooked squirrel just like
we fried chicken and fish in that old iron fry pan.

Latest posts

Back