• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Putting decoration on pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to make a new pouch out of some lighter weight, fairly flexible leather i think will be perfect for it. I'd like to decorate it. Ive
I've seen lots of pictures of leather pouches with designs sort of tooled or scratched in. The designs I see in pictures don't appear to be carved as one might do on veg tanned tooling leather, but done in some other way. What can you tell me about applying this sort of decoration to my bag?

I want to make a new pouch out of some lighter weight, fairly flexible leather i think will be perfect for it. I'd like to decorate it. Ive
I've seen lots of pictures of leather pouches with designs sort of tooled or scratched in. The designs I see in pictures don't appear to be carved as one might do on veg tanned tooling leather, but done in some other way. What can you tell me about applying this sort of decoration to my bag?
Can you post some pictures of the examples you're looking to for inspiration?

You've kinda put me on the spot. I hadn't saved any pictures, so I had to go looking. Heres the first one I found. For some reason I can't attach the actual photo here normally. Here's a link.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2018/02/antique-hunting-pouch.html
You can see it has designs on it that appear to be cut in some way, but not tooled in the way we usually think of when we think of tooled leather.

Thet design is very easy to accomplish. However, as far as I know, it can only be done on veg-tan leather. All you need to do is wet the leather, and draw,basically, the design onto the leather. Tandy makes a couple of tools that work well for it. I usually will put the design on paper, pay the paper on the leather, and go over the design. The imprint stays when the leather dries.

I don't think the leather was cut, it looks to me like the leather was dampened and a pattern rubbed into it with a tool like a stylus I have not done this, except along the edges of holsters and knife sheaths. Just a line, no design.

After cutting the leather so size, lay it flat on a hard/smooth surface, finish side up & dampen the surface you want to decorate.

You basically hammer stamp whatever you want into the wetted leather with a shaped tool head - when the leather dries, your pattern should stay there.

I would use a steel straight edge to make the straight lines in that diamond pattern you like.

Anyone unsure should draw out what they want on paper to make a pattern.

This is for a parfleche-type sheath I made

KWjX2Vuh.jpg

Yeah I've never tried it on anything other than veg tan. The examples you posted are all made from veg tan leather. I cant speak to the other types of leather working.

Just a thought; Miller's paintings often show pouches made by Indians and purchased by mountain men. This is my wife's it has beading and larger beads on fringe

Attachments

• PICT0500.JPG
    PICT0500.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 124
just let your mind be your guide! that is not very hard too do! that is what the old timers did! just try it.

The leather i want to use has a waxed face. The revers side doesn't to have any. It may not work.
Here's another l8nk. This pouch has a small design

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2017/07/2017-clf-auction-item-hunting-pouch-by.html
Your answer has been covered quite well before I could get back to this. Thanks for posting the links, I've seen both bags before. Some debated on the 1st one. What is the deal with the circular hole?
Essentially the design is pressed in with a stylus type tool, usually with wet leather. Your leather my be waxed, so might not soak water as well as unfinished veg tan, but it is worth a try

Latest posts

Back