• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

putting a finish on a lock...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladegrinder

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm building a Kibler .58 colonial and nearing completion, the one thing I keep looking at is the lock...I need to do something with it.
I'm thinking #1 polish and leave a satin brushed finish
#2 polish and cold brown the whole thing
#3 polish, cold brown the lock and cold blue the screw
#4 polish and cold blue the whole thing

I know this is a personal preference kind of thing and I'm leaning towards #4, the barrel has been cold browned
What do you all think?

Heavily browned, rubbed back to a gray, aged, used look.
7A0E110E-26EC-44BB-9344-E59850F3920B.jpeg

I do the wood and bone charcoal case hardening. Starts out like this.
IMG_0256 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
It's been over 50 years since I saw that done, honestly don't recall much about it. Friend did it in his coal-fired forge while I turned the crank for the blower. He said "Casenit" (sp?) was not as durable as the old-timey method. Don't know. His turned out really nice.

If you don't finish it , it will slowly age , and not in the way you may like or want .
I'd suggest you finish it the way you like then age it the way you like .
I am not a fan of cold blue , but I do this . Blue with cold blue then put a cloth soaked with chlorine bleach over the part you want to age will age very quickly ,keep an eye on it , when it reaches the level you want , wash it off in hot water then card back the surface with 0000 steel wool , then oil . I have used this on an axe and a knife and new parts fitted to old guns , it worked perfectly .

Hi,
Locks on American guns from the period Kibler's colonial rifle represents would be either polished bright, fire blued, or charcoal blued. The barrels were the same. Browning did not become popular in America until the 19th century. At the very least stone off any casting lines and the textured as cast surface. For guns of this period, I usually cold blue and rub it off to tarnish the polished metal or temper blue (fire blue) the parts.
nLEPmUw.jpg

eJGvg82.jpg

0vDnuIx.jpg

AKwpwwO.jpg

7gMDl4j.jpg

dave

Good morning Bladegrinder,
Dave’s Cold blue and rub back works good and looks good. Works good for me. Just keep it dry and oiled!
Just a stock hint from my experience...stay far away from Permalyn. It is a urethane finish and a misery to correct.

This is an example of a TC lock that was stripped of its' finish and then browned with Plum Brown finish. I sure can't say it is historically correct BUT I like the slightly mottled look. Each to his own.
IMG-0592.jpg

Back