• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pushing For More Reasonable Hunting Regulations?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas doesn’t have a minimum caliber so I’m not limited in what I hunt with as long as it’s a muzzleloader, I’ve killed multiple deer with a 250 grain .375 paper patched bulletin from an original percussion fast twist rifle, also taken a couple with a .350 patched round ball out of one my flintlocks but I know my rifles, my shooting limitations and the anatomy of my target, most of my deer drop in their tracks or within a few yards, I know guys that can’t kill with an inline rifle so I don’t believe size is as big of a problem as the guys that pull the gun out of the closet once a year and expect to be able to be able to make a good kill with it.
I know it's a bit off topic, but I like hearing about everyone's original guns (especially bullet-rifles, I think they're some of the more interesting developments in ML's, peak of technical skill in the craft, and a transition to modern arms). Do you know the make (who, where), Year(roughly), Rate of twist, Weight, barrel length, what charge you're running, ect? A lot of these old guns don't have a lot of markings, just wondering if ya know!:thumb: You don't hear many people on the forums admitting to owning them lol.

I know it's a bit off topic, but I like hearing about everyone's original guns (especially bullet-rifles, I think they're some of the more interesting developments in ML's, peak of technical skill in the craft, and a transition to modern arms). Do you know the make (who, where), Year(roughly), Rate of twist, Weight, barrel length, what charge you're running, ect? A lot of these old guns don't have a lot of markings, just wondering if ya know!:thumb: You don't hear many people on the forums admitting to owning them lol.
This is my .38 ish caliber rifle, it’s marked James R. Whittaker, Ogden Utah, I just assume he was the owner, can’t say if he built it but his name is scratched inside the lock also, I shoot a soft lead cast 250 grain 38-55 bullet sized to .375 with a paper patch usually over 55-60 grains of 3f powder, the barrel is approximately 1:30 twist and 32” long, it shoots a .375 patched round ball with a very light load very good also, it ain’t pretty but it shoots too good not to enjoy it .

E9A6DB1A-F119-4E02-9F78-4AB4162CCBA1.jpeg

Here in Florida they approved air-rifles min bore of 30 cal. and Muzzle loaders
can have scopes. So many older retired with bad eyes. You get a free hunting
and fishing license if over 65. I think the key thing is practicing regularly so
that you can hit what you are trying to hit. Many shotgun only areas. The
developement here in Florida is outrageous. Came back here because
I was out in the NM desert but the flow accross the boder got way
too dangerous--within 50 miles of the border your life is on the line--esp at night.
If you shoot an illegal protecting yourself YOU go to jail. They walk with cash help
if they survived. It has ruined border area.

This is my .38 ish caliber rifle, it’s marked James R. Whittaker, Ogden Utah, I just assume he was the owner, can’t say if he built it but his name is scratched inside the lock also, I shoot a soft lead cast 250 grain 38-55 bullet sized to .375 with a paper patch usually over 55-60 grains of 3f powder, the barrel is approximately 1:30 twist and 32” long, it shoots a .375 patched round ball with a very light load very good also, it ain’t pretty but it shoots too good not to enjoy it .

View attachment 85849
That's a nice rifle! Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

View attachment 85849
She don't have to pretty as long as she can cook👍. Still a nice rifle.

Here in Florida they approved air-rifles min bore of 30 cal. and Muzzle loaders
can have scopes. So many older retired with bad eyes. You get a free hunting
and fishing license if over 65. I think the key thing is practicing regularly so
that you can hit what you are trying to hit. Many shotgun only areas. The
developement here in Florida is outrageous. Came back here because
I was out in the NM desert but the flow accross the boder got way
too dangerous--within 50 miles of the border your life is on the line--esp at night.
If you shoot an illegal protecting yourself YOU go to jail. They walk with cash help
if they survived. It has ruined border area.
It's great to hear they take care of the seniors in Florida. I think if the eyes are a problem, the scope is a great idea. Less chance of a wounded animal.
Border area is getting worse, especially now. They have a saying out there: "what happens in the desert, stays in the desert". Have fun in Florida, some great beaches and relaxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back