• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pushing Daisies Patches - Issue?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok years ago I bought some patches, .018" blue/white ticking (Muzzleloader Originals ). When I got them, they were super hard, brittle. No matter what you soaked them in, they never softened up. Shooting them was fun, because you'd look all over the ground and find the material just exploded all over. Today I opened up the pushing daisies patches and sure enough, Super hard! Held up to a light, very loose weave. I lubed some up to try out anyway, but I already know, this is a bad batch of patches/material. The .020" and .015" patches were perfect, Very soft, super tight weave. Not sure why certain companies are having a difficult time with the blue/white ticking? It's almost like they were soaked in a bucket of starch, thats how hard and brittle they are.

Those of you that have tried this brand, have you run across the blue-white tick being hard as a rock? A sheet of printer paper literally has more flex to it.

Did you wash the patches in hot water before using? Washing will remove any starch that might be in the fabric, and hot water should shrink of the material for a tighter weave.

Don’t take offense but you look like you can use a pair of scissors un chaperoned so why don’t you just make your own patches.Buy a 1/2 yard of pillow ticking then you can figure out what your rifles like by using different size patches and different lubes.And wash your pillow ticking when you get it the weave needs to be set You can dry it in dryer or on the clotheslin.Remember most of those precut patches have been sitting in a warehouse for a long time before you get them.

I bought some of the white ones. They were so flimsy that I threw them out. Haven't tried the mattress ticking variety.

Awful patches, yucky!

I buy real 100% cotton blue ticking from JoAnns. Measures .015 with compressed gauges. Tight weave even before washing, which I do which also removes the sizing from the fabric. Tear into strips and I cut at muzz. Works!

I bought some of the white ones. They were so flimsy that I threw them out. Haven't tried the mattress ticking variety.
never through them out, if too flimsy as stated, just double them up. what a waist.

Just as I figured, Its just a cute little design and description on the Pushing Daisies patches. I went as far as swabbing between shots and the .020" patches shot horrible at 50 yards. The .015" patches actually shot better. Each group had one flier, the .020" having the largest flier. All recovered patches were in perfect shape.

Not giving up yet, I still have to try higher powder charges with the .020" patches.

When it comes to hunting or real target shooting, I'll go back to the old style pre cut patches rather than the cute name/shape patches LOL.
One thing that I did notice, is that the recovered patches where EVERYWHERE. Normally, when I am looking for my patches, I'll find them within a couple feet of each other. With the pushing daisies patches, I was having to look anywhere from 30 feet in front of the gun, and 10 feet left/right. Not a single patch landed within 9 feet of each other. Makes me think that they are holding onto the ball far to long, causing some inconsistent accuracy? I'd hate to think about a 100 yard group.
IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

You’re getting there. Are you cleaning between shots or using lots of lube? Those shots that keep climbing higher are a sign of a progressively fouled barrel in my experience.

just for comparison, this was my latest 100 yard target with eastern maine shooting supplies, .020 patches. The orange bullseye is 1/2" diameter.

Back