Purely fictitious well sorta

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by YellowthornofTexas, Jun 9, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 9, 2019 #1

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

Walter Wadsworth Brandon did exist. The first of 34+ ancestors I’ve discovered that fought for the Confederacy (not one owned slaves. Only one Arkansas yankee family owned 6). He was born in Missouri and enlisted in the 15th Texas Cavalry at Batesville AR. Since my ACW re-enacting club is ANV, I’m using his name for my units Capt and using some Texas family history to this persona.

Walt Brandon, Captain, Company E, Lone Star Guards, 4th Texas Infantry Regiment, Army Of Northern Virginia. Landowner, former army scout/soldier and former ranger.
    Of Irish decent, Galway County, family arrived in America at Virginia in mid1700’s. The family migrated slowly to Tennessee. With the promise of land in Texas, the family moved there in 1832. It wasn’t as promised. Pop picked up arms and rode off with the Texas army. Luckily he returned. In reward for his service, he was awarded a large parcel of land near present day Waco, Texas (according to family “story”, true but have not been able to verify which Brandon). There the family settled and began raising cattle, farming various produce and horses.
    As the eldest of two boys and growing up I went the adventurers way. As a teen during the war of independence I took over dads duties of hunting. Also riding with local men in securing the area against marauding bands of natives. These men, some, would form companies and called Rangers.
    I enlisted in the Republic of Texas Dragoon’s in 1840. Rarely did we wear the fancy green jacket or cumbersome leather hat with plume. All that color and fancy was left for the balls. We patrolled the western Texas frontier fighting Kiowa, Comanche and Apache.
    In 1846, Texas became a state within the United States. I had come home to help on the property. We had good land, water, green grass. Our labor consisted of anglos and tejano vaqueros and a couple of free folk.
    In 1848, hostilities between Mexico and the United States began. I rode of with first of to be several volunteer mounted rifle battalions. Units were formed, disbanded, reformed and renamed.
    After returning I married a local merchants daughter and began our family.
    By the time the War between the states began our property had flourished. I wanted no more part of war. I urged my two daughters young men to stay, join the local militias to protect Texas from enemies from the South and within. After considerable thought and discussion with my family, I agreed to go East with the local unit mustering in. Little did any of us know that we would become a part of history. We’d be part of the infamous Hoods Texas Brigade, or Lee’s Texans. “No enemy has seen the back of my Texans.”
    But fame and “glory” shall never replace the cold, the heat, starvation, blood, maiming,death and fear we encountered in those years.
    Deo Vindice

tenngun likes this.