• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pure aggrevation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given a chapman set for my 21st birthday, many years ago. Best present ever, I have had to replace the odd bit, phillips head I think from the chapman site. I have not damaged a screw head since having this set. You can hollow grind screw drivers with a little patience, but you need to use antique ones that have good steel.

I have a Chapman red case set. I needed a thin slot head screw driver for the screws on an Italian made Zouave lock. None of my Chapman bits were thin enough. So I called Chapman. I told her the set I had and thought it was well over 30 years old. Jill at Chapman confirmed the red case sets were last sold in 1980 and my bit #88 was their thinnest. My #88 was to thick. She said Chapman had plans for metric thin blade bits but she was not sure when or if they would be made. Jill suggested I thin out one of the bits. I was reluctant to possibly ruin one of mine but Jill said Chapman sold individual bits for $1.35 if I needed one. In the end I made a thin blade from an old screwdriver.

seems every time I see or pick up a used rifle I see where some genious has tried to remove screws with god only knows what. Just recieved a Replica arms .38cal that was built by Pedesoli. Supposedly a Cecil Brooks design That he was overseer of the project. Guns were imported to Ohio.( found this on the net so I know its true). This rifle is the deluxe model. lots of engraving. What aggrevates me is seeing the damage to the screw heads, that someone tried with wrong size screwdrivers to remove for cleaning. Over half the screws were damaged, but manage to get them all out, lots of patients and time. I wouldn' worry so much, except the heads of most of these screw have engraving on them. I do plan on repairing the screws and rebluing. It is a real nice rifle. I just wish that some of these people would take the time a get the right tools that fit.
Yep! I wish I had invested in a good set of hollow-ground gunsmith screwdrivers in my youth. Good advice!

"Jill at Chapman confirmed the red case sets were last sold in 1980"

That's interesting, it confirms my set is over 40 years old and still going strong and that in turn says a lot about their quality.

"Jill at Chapman confirmed the red case sets were last sold in 1980"

That's interesting, it confirms my set is over 40 years old and still going strong and that in turn says a lot about their quality.

They do seem indestructible. Jill told me they were having trouble with the metric bits being to brittle is why she was not sure if or when they would bring them out. I looked at Brownell's but I didn't want to buy a set at this time but maybe some day.

OK, gentlemen of the jury, what would result using .54 Minies (Minnies?) cast from my Lyman mold, in my Lyman Great Plains 54 which is rifled for round ball? Just curious, I have the mold but no .54 musket. IOW, what 'accuracy' would result? You may deliberate in the jury room!

OK, gentlemen of the jury, what would result using .54 Minies (Minnies?) cast from my Lyman mold, in my Lyman Great Plains 54 which is rifled for round ball? Just curious, I have the mold but no .54 musket. IOW, what 'accuracy' would result? You may deliberate in the jury room!
That sort of question is best talked about in the other areas of the forum.
This is the Gun Builder's Bench section that is for talking about building guns rather than shooting them.

seems every time I see or pick up a used rifle I see where some genious has tried to remove screws with god only knows what. Just recieved a Replica arms .38cal that was built by Pedesoli. Supposedly a Cecil Brooks design That he was overseer of the project. Guns were imported to Ohio.( found this on the net so I know its true). This rifle is the deluxe model. lots of engraving. What aggrevates me is seeing the damage to the screw heads, that someone tried with wrong size screwdrivers to remove for cleaning. QUOTE]

I've been looking for one of these for a while. If this is what you have, send me a note if you ever sell it. Looking to replace one stolen from a friend of mine many years ago.
8821-9db46fd57978f42b734667b1db7c2990.jpg

It never seems to matter if a modern gun or an original ML, someone will mess up screws. I would buy a box of magnatip blades at the lumber yard and with a small wheel grind to fit. Moto tool makes quick work for a hollow ground tip.

Latest posts

Back