• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pure aggrevation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
seems every time I see or pick up a used rifle I see where some genious has tried to remove screws with god only knows what. Just recieved a Replica arms .38cal that was built by Pedesoli. Supposedly a Cecil Brooks design That he was overseer of the project. Guns were imported to Ohio.( found this on the net so I know its true). This rifle is the deluxe model. lots of engraving. What aggrevates me is seeing the damage to the screw heads, that someone tried with wrong size screwdrivers to remove for cleaning. Over half the screws were damaged, but manage to get them all out, lots of patients and time. I wouldn' worry so much, except the heads of most of these screw have engraving on them. I do plan on repairing the screws and rebluing. It is a real nice rifle. I just wish that some of these people would take the time a get the right tools that fit.

Mike, you wish that “some” would take the time to get a tool that fit? I wish “all” would, especially if they get close to anything of value. Long ago I bought a set of Brownells Magna-Tip hollow ground screwdrivers. Those were among the best buys I ever had, even at full price.

I guess its just age. years ago I made the same mistakes. Just grab a screwdriver and go to town, and then oops. Now I probably have a dozen or so screwdrivers and I take the time to make sure they fit, if not just do a little honing. It does take a little more time but it is worth it in the long run. I now have about a dozen screws to repair. file slots down square, remove burrs, and refinish. But it will be worth it in the long run I think. I have never seen screw heads with engraving on them. There are alot of things I haven't seen yet.

I have a set of Chapmans I bought over 25 tears ago. I like the ratchet accessory, it makes removing stubborn screws a lot easier.
Exactly! One of the advantages of being a member of a muzzleloading club is that I've developed friendships over the decades with a couple of men who are experienced gun builders. One of them explicitly said I needed to get that Chapman set of screwdriver bits. And he's right! That's at the top of the list for new tool purchases in 2020.

I'm guilty of using what I had on hand for a number of years. While being careful and patient has its benefits, it's just plain EASIER to have the right fit up front. What I am also finding is that many of the screws I'm coming across now have a VERY narrow slot! No standard 'off the shelf' drivers even fit. Nor does most of a small set of Grace drivers I purchased from Brownell's. I'll look into the Chapman's and Wheeler sets mentioned above. Any others to consider in my search?

On driver in particular I find myself needing is a very WIDE but thin bladed one. (Mainspring screw on an 1851 Navy)

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

I'm guilty of using what I had on hand for a number of years. While being careful and patient has its benefits, it's just plain EASIER to have the right fit up front. What I am also finding is that many of the screws I'm coming across now have a VERY narrow slot! No standard 'off the shelf' drivers even fit. Nor does most of a small set of Grace drivers I purchased from Brownell's. I'll look into the Chapman's and Wheeler sets mentioned above. Any others to consider in my search?

On driver in particular I find myself needing is a very WIDE but thin bladed one. (Mainspring screw on an 1851 Navy)

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

Though this reply might seem like an unpaid advertisement for Brownell's Gunsmithing supplies, I am in no way connected with them, other than having some good friends who worked there over the years.

In 1973 when I began my 16 month long, On the Job Training Program (Apprenticeship) to become a Marine Corps Rifle and Pistol Team Equipment Repairman (National Match Gunsmith) we were issued a standard set of Grace Gunsmithing Screwdrivers, which unfortunately fit almost none of the screw slots we worked on. That's when I first started modifying screwdriver blades to fit the screws I actually worked on.

In 1974 when I first began going to the North South Skirmish Association Spring and Fall National Championships to do trigger jobs and various gunsmithing work on Un Civil War long guns and revolvers, I began collecting 19th century wood handled screwdrivers and modified the blades to fit original and repro guns of that period.

I was extremely fortunate while teaching an NRA gunsmithing Seminar in the Mid 1980's, to have as one of my students, the man who then RAN the Brownell's Catalog. He gifted me and all the students with a variety of their products, but the most useful was the Brownell's Magna Tip Screwdriver Sets. Over the course of the next few years, I added all the "add on kits" to turn it into the "Master Set."
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...a-tip-sets/magna-tip-super-sets--prod417.aspx

Prior to going to the World Muzzleloading Committee Championships in Wedgnock, UK in 1996, I fortunately decided to buy the "Magna Tip Thin Bit Set," which allowed me to work on the SUPER Narrow European Screw Slots. That saved my bacon when working on an original Jaeger Rifle in 1996 and an original Nicolaus Boutet Flintlock target and dueling pistol in 1998.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...it-sets/magna-tip-thin-bit-set-prod44342.aspx

What I LOVE about the Brownells Magna Tip Screwdriver bits is you can find almost any size of bit you need to work on any guns AND you don't need to buy a complete set. You can buy them individually. Plus, they cost much less to buy or replace than making or modifying a screwdriver or bit for what you need. The other bit sets don't have ANYWHERE CLOSE to the range of bits that Brownells has in stock. Here is a link to the individual bits you can purchase. If you can't find the bit you need and you have the measurements of the screwdriver width and length, give them a call and they will help you select the right one.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-3-sd-120-bt-030-sku080120330-41568-1935.aspx

Gus

Gus, thanks for the info on the Brownells kit. I have a Chapman that's somewhere north of thirty y.o. But I've noticed on some European locks I don't have a screw driver head that fits. I wrote it off as some type of metric. But now I'll check out the Brownells.

Gus I'm with you all the way on the Brownell's but you can tie up quite a bit in a set and they don't fit in your shooting box so well and yes, I have a set and a lot of extra tips. For those who don't want to invest that much I can't say enough good about the Chapman set. I have one I bought 40 years ago that's been to countless shoots, reenactments, skirmishes and I don't know what else. It's actually the first set I go to when I start on a gun and I haven't worn or damaged any of the bits to date. I actually think highly enough of them that I went to their site and bought one of every bit they make.

Gus I'm with you all the way on the Brownell's but you can tie up quite a bit in a set and they don't fit in your shooting box so well and yes, I have a set and a lot of extra tips. For those who don't want to invest that much I can't say enough good about the Chapman set. I have one I bought 40 years ago that's been to countless shoots, reenactments, skirmishes and I don't know what else. It's actually the first set I go to when I start on a gun and I haven't worn or damaged any of the bits to date. I actually think highly enough of them that I went to their site and bought one of every bit they make.

I think this goes back to the days when we had to modify screwdrivers to fit the screw slots in particular guns, but for those who don't want to take up much room in their shooting boxes, I recommend buying one handle and just the tips that fit the gun or guns one shoots. One can put all the tips in one plastic bag for each gun.

Gus

I have a small grinding wheel for my Dremel. I use it quite often to thin blades for my Brownell's magnetic screw driver handle that I've had for many years. I put a bit of the appropriate width in the small bench vise and hollow grind it to the appropriate thickness. I often use bits that come in the cheap driver sets and grind them to fit what I need.

Old timers I have worked on had screws that were hand made, thus requiring a hand made screw driver. Some had square slots, but most had tapered slots cut with a file. What my little pet peeves is when the screw heads are not lined up with the flow of the rifle. The slots are just helter scelter.

Chapman used to sell replacement bits, but the only single blade bit on their website now is a 1911 bit for the grip screw.

They sell individual tools & bits. I bought one of every bit available at the time and a few tools too a couple of years ago and if I remember the whole deal only ran around $80. They are cheap enough that I'm not afraid to take a grinder or file to one to make what I need. The ratchet is also the same one used on the Lyman Lubrisizer.

https://chapmanmfg.com/collections/individual-parts

Yep. Click on the icon for slotted screws on that page and the ONLY thing you find is that 1911 bit. I found full kits, replacement handles and ratchets, and sets of bits. I went down one rabbit hole after another this morning trying to find where they hid the individual gunsmithing bits, but evidently could not figure out how kill the troll, find the key and rescue the princess. The individual bits remain hidden to me. I have two Chapman sets, one quite short on bits. This thread reminded me I needed to replace them. I will drop them an email in a bit asking where to buy them. I also want a set of their Singer sewing machine bits. My wife is into treadles and hand cranks. I wish I had bought those bits years ago like you did.

They sell individual tools & bits. I bought one of every bit available at the time and a few tools too a couple of years ago and if I remember the whole deal only ran around $80. They are cheap enough that I'm not afraid to take a grinder or file to one to make what I need. The ratchet is also the same one used on the Lyman Lubrisizer.

https://chapmanmfg.com/collections/individual-parts

"Yep. Click on the icon for slotted screws on that page and the ONLY thing you find is that 1911 bit."

https://chapmanmfg.com/collections/individual-parts/products/slotted-insert-bits

Under "Size" there is a box with "1911 Grip Screw Bit" inside. Put your cursor anywhere inside that box and left click, you'll see all the available sizes. Highlight the size you want, left click and it will show up in the box. All that needs to be done then is left click on "ADD TO CART". Same for the other bits too.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was waiting for the picture and sizes to change, and they don't. I guess their theory is ya seen one screwdriver tip you've seen them all and don't need to see what you're buying. It's good. I'm going to spend some money there today!

My wife is into treadles and hand cranks.
My treadle machine (new in 1995 Singer; special order) came with a screwdriver. I've less than zero idea where that screwdriver is now …. I also bought the portable case and hand crank at the same time.
I like drills and stuff I don't have to plug in. Generally speaking there no 'lectricity in "primitive" camps or out in the sticks and boonies.

Back