• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Punt gun or battery gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder in the USA of the 21st Century if a ML battery gun would be lawful to hunt waterfowl with, if it had several tubes that each didn't exceed .80 inch bore, i.e., 10-gauge & was set-up for "ripple fire??
(Such a ML battery gun would be VERY LETHAL in the extreme, I would think for taking ducks, geese, cranes, etc.)

yours, satx

FYI, it is generally agreed that (in the USA) that market hunting had to be prohibited to protect several species of waterfowl from EXTINCTION.

According to one of the Smithsonian curators at The Chesapeake Bay Commercial Hunting Exhibit told me "over a long lunch" in OCT1989 that THE TURNER, which gun was on display at the exhibit, killed at least a MILLION ducks, geese, cranes & "other species of waterfowl" & perhaps as many as 1.5 MILLION waterfowl over the >8 decades that the Turner & Whatley families hunted with that one punt-gun.
(SORRY, I won't reveal the curator's name, absent his consent.)

Further, when hunting for the Baltimore markets was still lawful, there were at least 100 families in MD alone, who were commercial hunting with punt-guns, so the yearly "take" was HUGE & likely unsustainable, if waterfowl were to remain in MD.= The market hunters were quickly killing of the available ducks, geese, cranes, swans & "incidental species" faster than the waterfowl could reproduce.

just my OPINION,satx

satx78247 said:
I wonder in the USA of the 21st Century if a ML battery gun would be lawful to hunt waterfowl with, if it had several tubes that each didn't exceed .80 inch bore, i.e., 10-gauge & was set-up for "ripple fire??
(Such a ML battery gun would be VERY LETHAL in the extreme, I would think for taking ducks, geese, cranes, etc.)

yours, satx

Basically, you're describing a volley gun. Most waterfowl regulations limit you to 3 shots maximum without reloading. Some say a "machine gun" is a gun that fires more than 1 shot with 1 pull of the trigger. I think whether or not it COULD be considered a violation would depend on the individual game warden. Whether or not the federal courts would consider it a violation is hard to say, but it's easy to say it would be expensive to find out!

Likely so, though the reason that I asked was that ML are generally not considered to be firearms under law in several States.

Even Gatling guns aren't NFA weapons under federal law, though some of them will fire 600RPM or more.

yours, satx

Back