• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Punching 16 ga. wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCarp

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This may sound like stupid, basic questions, but here goes. I have a 17mm wad punch on the way for producing my own wads for my 16 gauge fowler. I've never owned a punch before, nor made my own wads.

What do I place beneath the material I'm actual punching in order to not damage the punch itself or dull its cutting edge? I'm thinking a soft pine board, perhaps? Also, how many layers of wad material (cardboard, felt, etc.) can be punched through at once?

Thanks...!

I use a plastic cutting board or a wood board. Something you don't mind messin' up. I never thought about cutting more than one at a time. By the way, 17 mm comes out to about .29 caliber the way I figure. I would think you would need something about .67 caliber for a 16 ga. But then again, math has never been my strong point.

A 17 mm punch will work for a 16 gauge 17mm=.669in.

I have found out the best backer for punching is the end grain of a soft wood (pine/cedar) stump. I use a cut off cedar 4X4 about a foot long placed on the concrete floor.

When I got my punch from?? Wow? What a brain @#$! I just had! I can't remember the name!!
Anyway he makes them for what ever your bore size is and I use a thick piece of Plexiglas like plastic.

Old age is a form of self-entertainment!!

Just remembered !!!!! It's Ohio Ramrod!! Great guy to deal with and no problem with fit.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

I always use a piece of duralaun or plexiglass. I also put a piece of light cardboard(like a cereal box) so that I can cut through the leather, felt or cloth cleanly without embedding the punch into the plastic. I can get a few thousand wads before needing to touch up the punch.

Thanks Ohio. I forgot to mention the heavy paper!
Your whole set-up is a real bargain in this world of today and works as it should.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

My punches for leatherwork have lasted well over 25yrs. I use a 6" cutoff 4' X 4" from someones decking project, just trim it a bit when it gets "chewed" up. Punch on the end grain and use a rawhide or other non metalic hammer.

back in the day, i used milk cartons for wads for my 20 gauge. still have some today. i also use the end grain of boards.

End grain it is! I have a 4x4 that will work. Thanks for the replies, gents...!

I am currently using a large wheat thins box for my overshot cards. If you cut the plastic coating off of some 3 ring binders there is a thick cardboard underneath suitable for over powder wads.

Actually, 17 mm is equal to .67 inches. 1 inch is equal to approximately 25.4 mm. Therefore 17/25.4=.669

When punching wads, I use a piece of cardboard box on top of a piece of pine board under the wad material. The number of layers you can cut at one time will depend on how thick your wad or card material is. If you are punching 1/4 inch felt wad material, I would punch only one layer at a time.

Carp,
I have a 16 gauge fowler that's frustrating to find suitable wads for...Could you share where you found your 17mm punch? I've attempted (rather poorly to date)to make my own.... Many thanks if you could steer me out of this frustration!
MG

Martin Greenhorn said:
Carp,
I have a 16 gauge fowler that's frustrating to find suitable wads for...Could you share where you found your 17mm punch? I've attempted (rather poorly to date)to make my own.... Many thanks if you could steer me out of this frustration!
MG

Got mine here: http://www.bloomertool.com/Wad-Punches.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back