• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pumpkin or squash?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I planted a dozen or so spaghetti squash seeds and came up with a couple of plants that produced these. What are they?

image.jpeg

I've had several of those mystery plants show up in my garden some years back. The local "experts" will tell you that cross pollination just doesn't happen, I beg to differ. That squash looking plant was red inside like a watermelon. And the cucumbers tasted terrible. It seems like vine plants do cross pollinate.

I've had several of those mystery plants show up in my garden some years back. The local "experts" will tell you that cross pollination just doesn't happen, I beg to differ. That squash looking plant was red inside like a watermelon. And the cucumbers tasted terrible. It seems like vine plants do cross pollinate.
I've never spoken to a gardener that doesn't believe cross pollination occurs.

I grow different varieties of similar species, you can get around it with early and late season varieties and the timing of sowing.

No pumpkins in the patch. The seeds were given to me so I have no idea of their parentage.
Another possibility is the seeds came from the product of a hybrid plant. The seeds from a hybrid will not produce vegetables like parent plants and the seed companies like to push hybrid varieties so you have to keep buying their seeds. I like to save seeds and have had some rather strange results. Last year I grew some carnival squash from saved seeds and the outer rind turned out hard like a gourd. Normally I can cut these in half with a knife but these hard ones required an axe. The now empty hulls of some that were not harvested survived the winter and are still out in the bushes like cannon balls.

Yeah stick with the known heirlooms when saving seeds. You'll get pretty plants from hybrids but the fruit is "iffy".

We will see with these. I haven't cooked one yet, wife thinks they are too pretty, and we are all about pretty.
Be it squash or pumpkin both are good table fare. We lived in FL In the 70s and couldn't find a pumpkin for pie at Thanksgiving. I found that butternut squash makes a good "pumpkin" pie.

Another possibility is the seeds came from the product of a hybrid plant. The seeds from a hybrid will not produce vegetables like parent plants and the seed companies like to push hybrid varieties so you have to keep buying their seeds. I like to save seeds and have had some rather strange results. Last year I grew some carnival squash from saved seeds and the outer rind turned out hard like a gourd. Normally I can cut these in half with a knife but these hard ones required an axe. The now empty hulls of some that were not harvested survived the winter and are still out in the bushes like cannon balls.
Were those "squash" big enough for birdhouses? Seems like some durable material.

We will see with these. I haven't cooked one yet, wife thinks they are too pretty, and we are all about pretty.
Be it squash or pumpkin both are good table fare. We lived in FL In the 70s and couldn't find a pumpkin for pie at Thanksgiving. I found that butternut squash makes a good "pumpkin" pie.

When I was in high school I picked squash for a couple of seasons, made $.75/hr. on a good day. The squash were sold to One Pie brand for pie filling. They only bought squash and when they ran pumpkin pie filling it was squash with molasses added.

Latest posts

Back