• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Protective sleeves for wood rasps...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just ordered some new wood rasps last night, my old ones are getting pretty dull.

I know to protect my rasps and files from touching each other and I have several sleeves of varying quality. Some are simple, thin plastic bag-type sleeves that the tools were shipped in originally. Others (old Craftsman brand) are nice heavy plastic sleeves.

Anyway I want to protect these new rasps and was wondering what others used or if there are any commercially available that are any good. Of course I searched the Net and the only nice ones I found were leather sleeves that looked very nice but were coming out of New Zealand. High price and probably high shipping. Other sleeves seemed to be for kitchen tools and were specific brands so I could not tell if they would work for the rasps I have and those I have ordered.

Any ideas, or help?

Send your dull rasps and files to Boggs Tools for sharpening, I sent my Nicholsen 49 and 50 to them and they came back like new.

Here is how I keep my rasps from touching anything when not in use;

As you can see, I like to make osage handles on my hobby lathe.

file handles.JPG

Chunk of lumber and a router? Do you have a saddle shop nearby? Maybe order leather and get a speedy stitch and sew something? One thing about leather is that it can hold moisture, that causes rust so leather may be a poor choice.

My rasp and file drawer has vertical slots that organize the rasps and files side to side and prevent them touching each other.

I use some larger diameter commercial shrink tubing. Its a pretty heavy and fairly stiff plastic and comes in a lot of sizes. Of course I dont get it near any heat source.

I use lengths of leftover ABS plastic pipe scrounged at construction sites. Match inside diameter of the pipe to the circumference of the rasp. Hit the pipe with a heat gun til it softens, flatten it so the rasp fits, let the pipe cool, and done. They don't last forever, but one of mine has lasted 20+ years.

I think Eric's suggestion is the best, but if you have to store them in a drawer and don't have some method of keeping them separated, then make a sheath out of cardboard wrapped around it with masking tape to hold it together. Some of my sleeves like that are over 30 years old and still going strong, but it's cheap and easy to make replacements.

Gus

Just ordered some new wood rasps last night, my old ones are getting pretty dull.

I know to protect my rasps and files from touching each other and I have several sleeves of varying quality. Some are simple, thin plastic bag-type sleeves that the tools were shipped in originally. Others (old Craftsman brand) are nice heavy plastic sleeves.

Anyway I want to protect these new rasps and was wondering what others used or if there are any commercially available that are any good. Of course I searched the Net and the only nice ones I found were leather sleeves that looked very nice but were coming out of New Zealand. High price and probably high shipping. Other sleeves seemed to be for kitchen tools and were specific brands so I could not tell if they would work for the rasps I have and those I have ordered.

Any ideas, or help?
Leather will attract moisture thereby the Rasps can rust.
I've trimmed my Horses hooves for decades now and always used a piece of old thin wooden blanket rolled around my hoof rasp, never had any rust or dulling problems although I replace a Rasp every few years or so.
I do the same with my wood rasps and metal files.
Never discard old woolen anything, you'd be surprised at how practical Wool can be for various purposes.

My general files are in a drawer piled on top of each other like Rifleman's, I don't stir the pile, they sit there quietly next to or on top of each other and never move. I have never had one dull because of the way they are stored. The picture is of my file drawer and the $1 brass BBQ brush file card that I have been using for at least 20 years.

file card.JPG

I built my workbench to be as solid as a boulder so the files in the drawer won't be shaking about.

I made the file rack because these are my most used rasps and one half-round wood file, I also wanted my mini files easily accessible as well. I really did want to protect these as well as make them easy to grab.

file rack.JPG

Latest posts

Back