• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Protecting your gun during hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybear68

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey what do you guys do that deer hunt with your fancy schmancy MLers to keep them from getting scratched?

I have a leather case that I've carried mine in to the stand....which is usually up a tree. I take it out of the case when i get in the tree.

My fine longrifle was carried many times in the woods in all kinds of conditions. It did acquire some minor 'beauty marks'. But, the only real damage happened at home in my shop. Put a nasty scratch in the butt when it scraped against a tool. They are meant to be used. Just clean well and wax after you get home.

FWIW, I've been hunting for over 55 years, and only scratched a gun once - years ago, when I slipped while climbing a steep hill.

I like using very fancy guns, as it gives me eye candy to admire during those quiet times when game's not moving.

I never use a gun to "bust brush" or as a crutch during a stream crossing... :doh:

I've never covered a gun after removing it from my vehicle & loading it - and they remain "as new".

I do, however, use a cow's knee over the lock in inclement weather, and a small black sacrificial balloon over the muzzle. (my capguns have a short piece of likewise sacrificial neoprene tubing slid over the cap to seal the cap from the nipple)

They were built to be used other than a cows knee for rain or snow once loaded and in the woods the hunt is on, yes they will acquire some marks but if you do not abuse the gun it just adds to the character of the weapon, as mentioned I have a few lookers they get used for what they were built for hunting.

I try to keep my rifle on the down hill side so when I take a dive (should that ever happen :rolleyes: ) it will be on top of me rather then me on it.

I've found that if the weather is particularly bad, some bees wax to carefully seal around the frizzen and pan works wonders.

If that, and a cows knee, doesn't work...probably best to stay home on those days...

I don't have any fancy guns, so I don't worry too much about dings and scratches. I do try to protect them as best I can but I seem to manage to bump against a rock or tree or something.

All my firearms, regardless of whether they are plain or fancy, are carried un-cased once they leave the vehicle. For transportation I use a leather, canvas, or blanket style case. At an early age, my dad a WWII vet, drilled into me to be “ready”, and care for your firearm as if your life depended on it. Those early firearms weren’t close to fancy, but they were as valuable to me back then as anything acquired since. I consider normal handling marks and wear acquired over time as part of their character. The older I get, the more I appreciate them, and unlike myself, they surely age better!

I give my hunting rifle a heavy coat of furniture wax. But I don'take my "fancy" rifle out into the woods.

Hunted w/ six or seven custom flint guns since 1973 , and don't remember ever scratching any of them. Worst case .......friend was hunting w/ a Jaeger rifle I built him . He was driving deer w/his family . He was done hunting and got w/in 10 ft. of the truck , and did an Olympic level upside down flip on the ice. His sons graded it as a 10 , though he landed on his flintlock and broke it off at the wrist. Was able to do some Epoxie and dry wall screw juju magic on the stock and unless you knew where it was broken , the break wasn't visible............oldwood

In the late 1980''s , at NMLRA Spring shoot there was a Jaeger rifle the owner had gone over with a set of car keys to age the finish on it. Another one was spotted under the finish with a quill pen dashed across the builder's index finger using red ink. These artifact marks engender a tantalizing faux mystery begging to be solved asking , wonder how the ink or other marks got on the gun. Antiquing a rifle is great fun ,and opens the door to the unknown...............oldwood

Latest posts

Back