• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Protecting your gun during hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to crossing fences, if bye myself I remove the prime, set the frizzen stall in place, lay the gun on the ground muzzle pointing the opposite direction from where I am crossing the fence butt end of weapon close enough to the fence so after I am across I just reach under the bottom wire and carefully lift the gun off the ground and move it under the fence, remove the stall and re-prime and off I go hunting again. If with another hunter remove the prime put on the stall, muzzle up and cross one at a time handing the guns muzzle up across the fence to the first one over the fence. If percussion remove the cap place a small leather disc over the vent and rest the hammer on that. As to range work I made a portable bench, on one side there are u shaped notches about 4 in. deep in the one side with leather tabs that go across the barrel and fastened with a stud (think civil war cartridge box type of fastener)when the gun is leaning in the notch. I also take a carpet square about a foot in square to place on the ground so the butt has a reasonably safe place to sit without sliding. A little common sense goes a long way.

axmntman, guns do not kill people, a$$ hole people kill people. I have never seen a gun just get up on its own and say I think I will go kill someone today. And from your amount of posts it is a bit too late to make a dis-claimer.

He could have had a boating accident app. I heard that was a common cause for losing guns in NY after January 15, 2013, just saying.
Robin

Ok, so I'll need a barrel condom of some sort for hunting in the rain. If using a percussion gun, must anything the caps be protected from getting wet? What about a flintlock hunting in the rain? Cows knee to protect from the rain? Dont prime until ready to shoot? My guns will get scarred , I just want them to go off when the time comes to shoot.

A piece of electric tape across the muzzle will take care of the muzzle, a well greased cows knee to cover the lock and tuck the lock under your arm, check the prime often as to cap locks pretty much the same you can put a bit of finger nail polish around the cap or change the caps often, but I never done that just something more too worry with, ( the finger nail polish) I have hunted in all sorts of nasty weather and pretty much do what I stated never had a problem, also a bit of well oiled rag too occasionally wipe down the rifle but that really is not necessary. When you are done hunting for the day take out the lock and the barrel from the stock if you feel comfortable with that and clean every thing well, also let the rifle in pieces a day and go over it again then well oil all the parts and put it back together then for the next few days check it and you should be good to go. If the weather is super horrible I stay home.

One early fall muzzleloader season...we hunted a week strait in weather that ranged from a heavy drizzle to a down pour. It was hard cold wet hunting. The moisture was so bad, ramrods were swelling in the ferrals and could not be removed to load the guns. I found a nice strait flat willow, and whittled a ramrod out of it, that I just carried in my off hand while hunting. Cleaning the gun involved pieces of flannel, a long string, and my whittled ramrod...

On the 3rd day, I got a nice 5x5 buck laying in his bed. He wasn't a monster...but he had solid mass and was good eating.

I used Vaseline around the nipple, the cap and bolster of my CVA .50 calibre percussion Mountain Rifle, and tape across the muzzle. I also used a cows knee. I didn't tie the cows knee in place, I simply draped it, with the thongs loosely tied...if I saw something I could easily flip the cows knee off to the side, clearing the hammer...and allowing me an unobstructed view, down the sites. As I hunted, I carried the gun so that the cows knee was up under my armpit, and that further helped to keep the wet out...

In 7 days of hard hunting my gun fired every time, not a single misfire. Very memorable hunt.

Last edited:
axmntman, guns do not kill people, a$$ hole people kill people. I have never seen a gun just get up on its own and say I think I will go kill someone today. And from your amount of posts it is a bit too late to make a dis-claimer.
IRONY: the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite

I make what I call "gun boots" out of deer hide to protect the butt end of the gun from briar scratches and rock dings on the buttplate. Yes, when tied on it covers the patchbox, but I seldom use the patchbox anyway. Also, I've sewn a loop of leather on that I attach a carabiner and rope to pull my rifle up if I'm in a tree stand.

Attachments

• P3012508.JPG
    P3012508.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 53
  • P3012511.JPG
    P3012511.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 45
Most of my most expensive guns don’t have buttplates and are my main hunting guns. I’m as careful with them as I am with my old ‘64 3030. Any dings they get, and they all have a few, are earned, and the gun is more because of them.

Back