• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Protecting white barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onojutta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd really like to keep the barrel in the white on my current build (early Lancaster). But, I'm concerned about how the underside of the barrel will be protected from deterioration since the barrel is not routinely removed for cleaning and oiling, as this will be a hunting rifle that will be used in all weather.

I have a production Lyman Trade Rifle that I stripped off the bluing and left the barrel in the white several years ago. After several hunting seasons it looks great and is slowly developing a natural patina. However, the difference here is that it is a Hawken style gun and I have access to all flats of the barrel and can wipe it down and oil the entire barrel frequently to protect from moisture.

How is this done on longrifles? Would it be appropriate to coat the bottom of the barrel with wax before pinning to the stock? Or should guns that will be used in the field stay away from white barrel finish for the sake of longevity?

I had an affliction for a few years where I built a number of full stocked Ohio rifles.

Originals were typically left with white metal and it took on an awesome grey colour over the next 150 years.

Not having the patience to wait I treated the barrels and locks with a single application of (modern) cold blue (Birchwood Casey's Super Blue to be exact).

That single coat barely dulls the metal and (I believe) provides a minimal bit of protection.

Once a year, usually when I lay my rifles up for the winter, I do knock the pins out and remove the barrel (all are fixed breeches) and give them a rub down with an oily cloth.

A couple that I still have are now 4 and 5 years old and don't show any (negative) signs yet of needing any extra care.

Back