• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Protect the stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you members use to protect the wood on your guns especially for hunting season? If this has already been discussed please let me know where I can locate it. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I use Johnson's Paste Wax from time to time on the stocks; but after every cleaning I wipe it down with a rag dampened with Type F tranny fluid.

Hanshi, please tell me more about the tranny fluid. What does it accomplish? How much? How do you apply it? I could use some preventive help. Polecat

I wipe down the barrel/stock with a bit of Ballistol on a rag at the end of a day of wet/damp hunting. Seems to do a good job of cleaning dirt,, removing moisture, and powder residue while sustaining the original luster of the rubbed oil finish.

Last edited:
58 caliber has it perfect.

I asked this in the past, cannot remember when.

Bri-wax comes with different color dyes in it to remove scratches and dings, nice wax.

Renaissance is used by places such as, supposed to be really good and somewhat expensive, though hard to find.

Johnson's is good and easy to find.

Nod in the answers went to Johnsons' by the responder's.

I give stock's a liberal coat (slopped on) of Liquid Gold. It will take the tiny color discolorations out and adds oil to the stock. I let it sit over night until it is soaked into the stock and is dry. Then I give a stock 3 coats of Johnson's wax. That gives it a nice low sheen.

The above is a nice winter project.

Last edited:
Hanshi, please tell me more about the tranny fluid. What does it accomplish? How much? How do you apply it? I could use some preventive help. Polecat

Type "F" is different from the others in that it's paraffin (wax) based and works great on wood. I've been using it for 20 years and it waxes the stock every time you use it. I dampen a rag with Type "F" and keep it in a sealed baggie. You don't want too much on it because it will make the stock feel wet. A dampened rag will make the stock, and metal, shine so that you easily see where you've wiped. And it keeps rust off the metal. Don't use it in the bore since the wax can build up. It really cleans up the exterior and protects the gun.

Latest posts

Back