proper way to tie a sash

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

adkmountainken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just wondering if there is a proper way to tie a sash so it will stay tight? wearing it over a frock.

andy52

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I start with a butcher's or surgeon's knot and then just another knot on top. The first type of knot doesn't slip as bad and will hold as you tie the second one.

Beau Robbins

32 Cal
Reaction score
It's very simple. Hold each end in your hands with the the sash run behind your back. Bring the left hand forward and across your front while simultaneously letting go with the right. Bring your right hand forward gripping the sash. Use the left hand to ball up the entire sash into the right hand. Then use the right hand to throw it into the trash and get a leather belt.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
just wondering if there is a proper way to tie a sash so it will stay tight? wearing it over a frock.
“Young as I was I was possessed of an art which was of great use. It was that of weaving shot pouch straps, belts, and garters. I could make my loom and weave a belt in less than one day. “

So Doddridge is referring to a sash when he writes “belt”. He also documents a woven shooting bag strap, while there are some that think bag straps should be leather, not woven.

“The belt, which was always tied behind, answered several purposes, besides that of holding the dress
[hunting shirt] together. In cold weather, mittens, and sometimes the bullet-bag, occupied the front part of it. To the right side was suspended the tomahawk and to the left the scalping knife in its leathern sheath."

“The Indian then threw his tomahawk at his
[the fleeing man’s] head but missed him ; he then caught hold of the ends of his [the fleeing man’s] belt which was tied behind in a bow knot. In this again the Indian was disappointed, for the knot came loose so that he got the belt but not the man,…”

Joseph Doddridge Notes on the Settlement and Indian Wars of The Western Parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania

LD