Proper shooting gear, 1730 New England

Discussion in 'Early Colonial Wars, Musketeers & Pirates' started by BillinOregon, Oct 31, 2013.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 18, 2014 #21

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

Cannon MLF Supporter

I need to see if our small town library has any of the cited Ospreys in stock. Doubt it.
    Alden, that madder red wool coat sounds intriguing.

2. Aug 19, 2014 #22

gbeauvin

gbeauvin

gbeauvin

40 Cal.

FWIW I've had some success in getting Osprey books via Inter-Library-Loan -- it took quite awhile for some of them to show up, but eventually most of them did! Your local librarian will likely be quite happy to help you fill out the ILL paperwork.

-GB

3. Aug 24, 2014 #23

pargent

pargent

pargent

62 Cal.

1645 red coats become the issue for the new model army .

4. Aug 25, 2014 #24

Alden

Alden

Alden

Cannon

Wes;
    The recent post here reminded me about your inquiry. Having dug out and turned to the referenced page I have to say the picture you posted is worse than useless but having looked at the original I know what you're referring to. The item hanging on the digger's belt is a good-luck charm holder without any charms...

Well, they were superstitious, but, OK, maybe it's not. But seriously, of course I know exactly what it is: a Caliverman's Frog.

Here're pictures of some from de Gheyn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These images are borrowed from Michael in Bavaria -- you guys'll "get the picture." I have tried to go from the simple to the more complex detail. You probably recognized the bullet-bag on the top and a flat powder-flask held below it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jan 30, 2019 #25

smoothshooter

smoothshooter

smoothshooter

50 Cal.

Military references should be fertile ground for all kinds of civilian historical references, partly because most adult males repeatedly crossed the cultural divide between military and civilian activities due to compulsory and voluntary militia service. Logic tells me that one environment would have influence in the other, whether the is firearms and acoutrements, food and it's preparation, medical treatment, navigation, clothing styles, sailing, etc.

6. Jan 30, 2019 #26

32 ballard xl

32 ballard xl

32 ballard xl

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Quite so...

7. Mar 28, 2019 #27

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

40 Cal.

Rich,I live in RI hunting and fishing here for over 50 years. This state is rich in colonial history,loaded with historical cemeteries and historic spots. I went to the snowshoe men site you spoke of and it was fantastic! Accurate and informative. Thanks for posting it. Art